Complex of the Officers’ Yacht Club of the Republic of Poland, Augustów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Complex of the Officers’ Yacht Club of the Republic of Poland

Augustów

photo

It is the only tourist building in this part of the country which was erected in the 1930s in the so-called “naval architecture” style. It is an outstanding example of modernist architecture. It has a unique historical value due to its designer: architect Juliusz Nagórski.

History

In 1934, it was decided to build an Officers’ Yacht Club on the White Lake, by design of architect Juliusz Nagórski. 400 workers from the H. Prudowski’s company of Grodno, supervised by Stanisław Domaszewski, Eng., erected the shells of the structures in record time - between 20 August and 20 November 1934. The local press of 1934 relayed: “1600000 bricks, 650 tons of cement, 55000 kg of iron beams, 90 tons of lime and massive amounts of stones, sand and wood have been used.” Harbour basins were dug by sappers; a port for rowing equipment was built; the embankment was lined with bridges. An artesian well was drilled. On 7 July 1935, the refined resort was put to use and an ensign was hoisted. During World War II, the building was used by Soviet and German occupants as a hospital, spa and military base. Expanded after 1945 and in the 1980s. Since 1999, it has remained a private property.

Description

The complex of the Officers’ Yacht Club consists of: the main building, a wooden reception, a marina building situated on the other side of the bay and a forest park surrounding the entire complex. It is located on a peninsula at the White Lake, in the northern part of the town. The peninsula is intersected by a railway line in the south-west. An irregular coastline and a diverse terrain represent unique landscape values, into which perfect architectural solutions were incorporated. Particular functional elements of the complex are linked by paths leading to an asphalt access road that links the peninsula with the town. The main element of the complex, an architectural landmark, is the Yacht Club building of a cubic shape and a streamlined silhouette - it awakens associations with white or naval architecture. The building was designed on an irregular polygonal plan, with a fragmented footprint. The three and four-storey body comprises three components and contains numerous avant-corpses in façades, balconies and terraces. The central part includes a quadrangular tower (initially, a gigantic water tank was stored at its gable). On the southern side, a hangar and a harbour basin abut to the building. It is surrounded by a composition of tall greenery (thuyas, willows, maples, hazels) as well as low, clipped hedges and a forest park with prevailing pines. In the north-western part of the peninsula, the technical facilities were located in the 1970s and the 1980s. An equally important element of the complex is a rowing harbour located in the bay, near the peninsula. It was designed on a rectangular floor plan, with wide and shallow annexes. It is a one-storey building with a small rectangular superstructure covered with a flat roof. Wooden bridges for fixing boats are located on the lake side. Interiors of the buildings initially had a modernist, ascetic form, with details referring to ships’ equipment (among others, handrails, window and door fittings, oak coatings of stairwells).

Accessible structure.

compiled by Iwona Górska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 12-10-2014

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, Zespół Oficerskiego Yacht Clubu Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, ob. dom wypoczynkowo-sanatoryjny, oprac. Cybulko Z., Tomecka B., 1999, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Białymstoku Delegatura w Suwałkach.
  • Koffler Leon, Hallo! Tu Yacht Klub Oficerski, „Nasz Głos” 1934, nr 12/30, s. 139-140.
  • Szlaszyński Jarosław, Makowski Andrzej, Augustów. Monografia historyczna, Augustów 2007, s. 456-457.

General information

  • Type: public building
  • Chronology: 1934-1936
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Al. Kardynała Stefana Wyszyńskiego 1, Augustów
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district augustowski, commune Augustów (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area