Funkcja czasowo wyłączona. Zapraszamy wkrótce.

Palace, Zwanowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.


The palace in Zwanowice, located within a park, near a Gothic church, forms a characteristic feature of the villagescape.


The first mentions of Zwanowice date back to the mid-13th century. Around the mid-15th century, there was a castle and a grange in the village. Unfortunately, we do not know where exactly they were built. In the 15th century, the village was owned by the von Bees family. In 1534, the estate went into the hands of the von Waldow family whose members remained its owners until the 2nd half of the 17th century.

In the 18th century, the estate in Zwanowice belonged to the von Schmiedeberg family - their mausoleum can be found in a church chapel. From the end of the 19th century until World War II, the estate was owned by the Woyrsch family.

The palace in Zwanowice was built in the end of the 18th century. In 1898, it was re-designed at the initiative of Guenther von Woyrsch. In the 1930s, the estate belonged to Udo von Woyrsch.

After 1945, a State Agricultural Holding (PGR) was operating within the grange, and the palace was adapted for office and residential premises. Currently, the site is a private property.


The palace in Zwanowice was built in the centre of the village, in a complex formed by the palace, a park, and a manor farm. From the south-west it neighbours a parish church circumscribed with a Gothic wall, and a tomb chapel. To the west from the palace, there are grange buildings, and to the east - a landscape park with a pond. The area around the park and the palace is circumscribed by a modern fence with an entrance gate from the south-east.

The palace is erected on a rectangular floor plan, with two avant-corps in the back façade and a terrace between them. The axes of the longer façades (south-western and north-eastern one) are preceded by stairs. The building is made of brick and rests on a stone and brick foundation. It the most part, it is two-storeyed (except for the avant-corps section, which has three storeys), with basements underneath and an usable attic. It is covered with a mansard roof with eyebrow dormers.

Its façades are articulated with rectangular window openings framed by plasterwork surrounds with a keystone, and rectangular panels between the windows of one axis. The plinth section and the corners are covered with rusticated strips. The front (south-western) façade is nine-axial, with the central axis accentuated by a shallow avant-corps flanked with pilasters and preceded by a flight of stairs. The avant-corps is topped with a curved pediment. In the centre, there is an oculus. The back façade is comprised of three-storey, two-axial side avant-corps and a terrace preceded by stairs between them. On the central axis, there is a dormer topped with a curved arch. In the northern corner of the south-eastern façade, there is a balcony topped with semi-circular arcades.

The original, two-bay interior layout, with a corridor running between the bays, a hall on the axis, and a staircase constituting an extension of the hall, has been transformed during subsequent adaptations.

Limited access to the monument.

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 04-12-2015.


  • Molak E., Racławicki I., Zapomniane zabytki. Dwory i pałace wiejskie południowej Polski. Śląsk Opolski, t. 2, Opole 2011, s. 308-315.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Pałac w Zwanowicach, oprac. Palacz T., 1998, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Założenie pałacowo-parkowo-folwarczne w Zwanowicach, oprac. Palacz T., 1998, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: koniec XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zwanowice 58A
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district brzeski, commune Skarbimierz
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area