Arcaded House, Żuławki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is a valuable house in the traditional architectural style that has grown to become the hallmark of the Żuławy region. The wooden house with an arcade of the frame structure is regarded as the so-called 3rd type arcade house (the arcade is situated along the longer side).

History

Żuławki (German Fuerstenwerder) is an example of a rampart linear medieval village initially stretching on a length of 1 km (in the late 19th century, the line of buildings was approx. 4 km long). Forms of architecture distinctive of Żuławy survived in the village, e.g. some arcaded houses (all of the 3rd type, in which the arcade adjoins the longitudinal wall of the building). Arcaded House No. 6 was erected probably in the 18th century; in 1825, it was converted by a builder with the initials “A.K.” at the request of the owner Peter Epp (there is a preserved inscription on the lintel of the front door that reads as follows: “PETER EPP BAUHERR AKBM ANNO 1825”). The pattern of the beams of the main arcade, the utility arcade, and the form of braces indicate the influence of Peter Loewen, a well-known builder from Żuławy. Earlier, the house was located in an old homestead. Until the present day, only the utility building from 1923 has survived; a wooden barn was demolished in 1967. In 1968, the utility arcade located in front of the eastern façade of the house was demolished. In the 1980s, the house underwent a full-scale renovation; the owner became the winner of the competition for the best user of a historical house. Th present owner is an Italian citizen.

Description

House No 6, with its arcade pointing towards the west, is located in the northern part of the village, on the east side of a village road running along the river of Szkarpawa. The building features Baroque-Classicist elements and was built on a rectangular floor plan (approx. 19 by 11 metres) with an added arcade on the axis of the western façade (approx. 7.5 by 5.8 metres). The preserved layout of the interior is as follows: the main hall is located in the central part of the front suite of rooms; behind the hall, in the back suite of rooms, there is a utility hall, moved towards the north; a black kitchen is situated in the corner between the suites. The wooden church was erected on a brick foundation using wooden logs. The first storey is a half-timbered structure. The body is single-storey, with a high gable roof clad in pantile. The arcade has two storeys, is based on 6 pillars and concealed with a gable roof with a ridge perpendicular to the ridge of the main roof. The wooden façades are set on a plastered plinth and topped with a profiled cornice beneath eaves. The corners are framed vertically with boards in the form of pilasters. In the longitudinal walls, under the cornice, there are visible profiled ends of the ceiling beams. The gables of the side walls and of the arcade are clad vertically with overlapping weatherboards. The western (front) façade has 6 axes. On the third axis, there is an entrance with one-wing door of a frame-and-panel type, divided horizontally. The middle part, that is the part between the second and the fourth axis, is covered with an arcade. The arcade is supported by 6 massive square pillars, joined in the top section with arch-carved braces with a keystone suspended on the axis. Above, there is a two-axial storey featuring a plain pattern of beams with pantile infills. Above the first storey, there is a one-axial gable with a semi-circular window on the axis. The back (eastern) façade has 6 axes. The entrance is located on the second axis from the north, flanked by two narrow small windows; the entrance, together with the outermost north window, is concealed by a modern single-storey annex, covered with a shed roof. The side and gable façades have three axes; the axes of the ground floor and of the gable do not coincide with each other.

Private property. The building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Teofila Lebiedź-Gruda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 31-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna (tzw. biała karta): Dom podcieniowy, Żuławki nr 6, autor A. Milkiewicz, 1998, w zbiorach OT NID w Gdańsku.
  • Krzyżanowski L., Żuławskie domy podcieniowe. Dokumentacja historyczna, Gdańsk 1962, w zbiorach OT NID w Gdańsku.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: koniec XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Żuławki 6
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district nowodworski, commune Stegna
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area