Palace, Żuków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

One of the residences of the von Schöning family which had once been the landmark of the Pyrzyce district, designed in a style typical for the architecture of masonry buildings erected during the second half of the 19th century, with influences from both the Gothic Revival style and the so-called round-arch style (Rundbogenstil).

History

Żuków was one of the oldest properties of the von Schöning noble family, having been their fiefdom as early as the 15th century. In 1874, the property was inherited by Hermann Richard Żuków von Schöning, a member of the Lubiatów-based branch of the family. It was at his initiative that the existing palace was erected in the years 1877-1878, as evidenced by the inscription on a certain now-vanished stained glass window. The architectural concept for the palace was created by Hermann Richard’s wife, Louise von Schöning and later implemented by Ferdinand Neubarth, an architect from Wriezen. The manor and the palace itself remained in the hands of the von Schöning family until the 1920s. The very last private owner of the palace had been Fritz Dreetz, last mentioned in 1939; after 1945, the palace served as living quarters for the employees of the nearby State Agricultural Holding (PGR), while in the 1990s the first floor was abandoned, while the ground floor was used as commercial space, being occupied by a pair of shops. In 2003, the palace was sold to a private individual; however, no further developments have taken place since then, with the palace slowly descending into a state of ruin.

Description

The palace is situated at the north-western edge of the village, on the north-eastern side of the road. It is surrounded by a small park. The longer façades of the palace face the north-east and the south-west, with the shorter, north-western façade with main entrance performing the role of the front façade. An ensemble of manor farm buildings from the late 19th and early 20th century, clustered around an irregular courtyard, had originally stood north-west of the palace; however, these structures were ultimately demolished in 2005.

The palace is an eclectic design incorporating both Gothic Revival and Rundbogenstil influences. Designed on a rectangular floor plan with truncated corners, it is a two-storey structure with a low hip roof; the avant-corps are covered with gable roofs, while the three-storey tower jutting from the northern corner of the palace features a tall pyramid roof. The exposed brick walls rise above a granite wall base; the roof of the palace is clad with sheet metal. The red brick façades feature bright terracotta detailing. The façade is divided by horizontal cornices - the socle cornice, the string course between the ground floor and the first floor as well as the sill cornices beneath the ground floor, first floor and attic windows. The entire structure is topped by a recessed frieze and a crowning cornice running underneath the eaves. Most of the windows are topped with segmental arches, while the recessed frieze in the attic section is pierced with oculi. The three-axial front façade is preceded by a single-storey porch with the main entrance portal, topped with a semi-circular arch. The corners of the porch are accentuated by rectangular engaged pillars; above the porch lies the terrace with a decorative parapet wall adorned with ceramic panels incorporating stylised leaf motifs. The date “1877” is incorporated into the recessed frieze on the axis of the main entrance. The north-eastern façade of the corner tower is partitioned by a two-storey niche topped with a semi-circular arch and incorporating the windows illuminating the staircase within. The uppermost storey of the tower is pierced with paired windows topped with semi-circular arches on both sides, its corners sprouting overhanging, cylindrical turrets. Each of the truncated corners of the palace is accentuated by a tall blind window reaching all the way from the wall base to the triangular gable above; each of these blind windows is topped with a trefoil arch adorned with a leafed rosette. The middle sections of both of the longer façades of the palace are accentuated by four-axial avant-corps divided into two parts each and crowned with two separate gables flanked by acroterions. The short, three-axial rear façade is preceded by a spacious terrace which had originally been accessible by means of a rear entrance which was later converted into a window. The palace interiors follow a two-and-a-half-bay layout and are arranged with an almost perfect symmetry on both sides of the hallway. The ground floor and the first floor are connected by a wooden, half-turn staircase which originally featured a decorative wooden bannister, its handrail resting upon turned balusters. Inscriptions in Gothic font - most likely originating from the first quarter of the 20th century - have survived on the walls of some of the palace interiors.

Private property. Viewing of the structure is only possible by arrangement with the owner.

compiled by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 17-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • “Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce”, new series, vol. XIII, woj. zachodniopomorskie issue 1, pow. pyrzycki. D. Bartosz, M. Słomiński (eds.), Warsaw 2013, pp. 244-245
  • Słomiński M., Budownictwo rezydencjonalne powiatu pyrzyckiego [in:] Zamki i rezydencje na Pomorzu - polsko-niemiecka konferencja, Szczecin 29-30. VI.2006, pp. 125-126

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Żuków
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district pyrzycki, commune Przelewice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area