A Classicist suffragan bishop’s manor house, Żnin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

A Classicist suffragan bishop’s manor house

Żnin

photo

An example of manorial architecture from the late 18th century (modified during the early 20th century), enjoying the status of a regional landmark.

History

The manor house was erected by Stefan Łubieński, the suffragan bishop, in 1795 and was subsequently extended in 1912. In 1984, the building underwent a series of renovation works.

Description

The bishop’s manor house, situated in the centre of the town of Żnin, at 24 700-lecia street, is located north of the local parish church. It is a brick building designed in the Classicist style, its walls covered with plaster. Erected on a rectangular floor plan, it is a single-storey structure with a habitable attic and a basement; parts of the basement feature vaulted ceilings. The most salient feature of the front façade is the two-storey portico covered with a gable roof; the main body of the building, on the other hand, features a half-hip roof. The roof surfaces are clad with a double layer of beaver tail roof tiles. The front façade follows a five-axial layout, with the middle section being a two-storey design with an entrance on the ground-floor level and a window positioned directly above; this section of the mansion is preceded by a projecting portico with two pairs of smooth columns positioned on tall plinths and capped with composite capitals. The columns support a simplified entablature with a triangular pediment adorned with a stucco cartouche incorporating the monogram of bishop Łubieński, surmounted by a coronet and a galero (a broad-brimmed hat with tasselated strings, reserved for high-ranking Catholic clergy). The windows are rectangular in shape and framed by plain surrounds topped with segmental arches. At the ground-floor level, the side façades follow a two-axial layout, while the upper sections thereof feature a three-axial layout with two oculi at the edges. The individual storeys are divided by a drip cornice. The rear façade follows a five-axial layout and features an entrance door in the middle. The interior follows a two-bay layout. At the heart of the mansion lies a vestibule reaching from one side of the building to another and featuring a winder staircase. Today, the mansion serves as the Museum of Ecclesiastical Art.

The property of the parish. The building is open to visitors during the opening hours of the Museum of Ecclesiastical Art.

compiled by Sara Szerszunowicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 28-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Sikorski Cz., Zarys dziejów Żnina, Żnin 1990, p. 87.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: 1795 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: 700-lecia 24, Żnin
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district żniński, commune Żnin - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area