Palace complex, Zimnowoda
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The palace in Zimnowoda, designed by Stanisław Hebanowski, is an example of a building in a historicist style — the French Neo-Renaissance. Both its shape and layout are modelled on French residential architecture of the 17th century and the works of Henri Mansart.

History

The village of Zimnowoda was mentioned in written sources for the first time in 1390. In the late 14th century and in the 15th century, it belonged to the Zimnowodzki family, in the 16th century — the the Głosiński family, and then — to the Marszewskis. Around the mid-18th century, it was the property of the Rychłowski family, who remained its owners until 1841. In 1872, Zimnowoda was purchased by Mieczysław Kwilecki. In 1872, the village was owned by Teodor Mycielski, and from 1875 — his widow, Ludwika Mycielski née Bisping. Between 1879 and 1919, the owner of the estate was Alfred Mycielski of Siedmiorogowo, and from 1919 — Maria Mycielska née Łącki. In 1932, the estate was purchased by Henryk Grocholski, who was executed by the Gestapo at the market square in Gostyń in 1939. After the war, the estate became the property of the State Treasury. The palace was built in c. 1864, after Ludwik, the son of the owner of the estate, Teodor Mycielski, died in the January Uprising. Between 1950 and 1959, summer camps for children were organised there; in the years 1960-68, the palace housed a Drug Rehabilitation Centre, and since 1986, it has housed a National Social Welfare Home.

Description

The palace complex is located in the north-westernmost part of the village, by a road connecting Borek and Koźmin. It comprises a residential part and a farm part. The residential part, comprising a palace and a park, occupies the south-western part of the complex. The palace, built in the French Neo-Renaissance style, has two storeys and basements with surbased vaults. It faces the south-east. The brick walls are covered with plaster with decorative horizontal and vertical lines. The façades are embellished with rich architectural and carved decorations. The building is symmetrical. It has three avant-corpses connected by the corps de logis. It is covered with a Mansart-style roof with a number of chimneys. The avant-corpses have separate roofs with decoratively-terminated chimneys and impressive dormer aediculas. The pilasters on the richly-decorated front façade are in a different order in each section. A porch with four pillars leads to the entrance located in the central avant-corps, adorned with sculptures.

The building has a two- and two-and-a-half-bay layout. On the central axis, there is a vestibule and an elegant, richly-decorated, two-storeyed hall. The ground floor contains elegant rooms intended for the eyes of guests, with a grand dining room on the south side and residential rooms on the north side. In the east section of the palace, on the farm side, there used to be a study of the host. The palace is surrounded by a landscape park, partially regular, having an area of 13.26 ha. Established in the 1st half of the 19th century, it underwent major modifications in c. 1864 and after 1890. The south-eastern part of the park is regular, with a four-row path lined with chestnut trees and lime trees reaching the lawn in front of the palace. Parallel to the path, closer to the residence, run two hornbeam avenues. The north-western part of the park is of a landscape nature.

The park is open to the public. Limited visitor access to the palace: the building houses a Social Welfare Home.

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 23.11.2015.

Bibliography

  • Libicki M., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 1996, s. 313
  • Libicki M., Libicki P., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2003, s. 447-448
  • Skuratowicz J. /red./ Majątki Wielkopolskie, t. 1 Powiat Gostyński, Szreniawa 1994, s. 179-180
  • Zgodziński B., Województwo leszczyńskie, Warszawa-Poznań 1989, s. 408

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1864 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zimnowoda 17
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district gostyński, commune Borek Wielkopolski - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area