Granary, Ziemięcice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The granary in Ziemięcice is one of the oldest surviving masonry utility buildings of its kind in the Upper Silesia region, with very few alterations having been made to its fixtures and fittings ever since it was originally constructed. It has therefore been able to retain its traditional form and character, while its location by the nearby pond serves to emphasise the picturesque quality of the surrounding landscape.

History

The granary in Ziemięcice was erected in 1780, most likely based on the remnants of the walls of a pre-existing structure; originally, the granary formed part of a much larger manor farm complex. After World War II, the building served as a storage facility forming part of the nearby State Agricultural Holding (PGR) located in the village of Kamieniec. Due to its poor technical condition, in the second half of the 20th century, the building underwent a series of conservation and renovation works. In the years 1958-1959, the refurbishment of the roof truss and cladding was carried out. In 1963, the façades of the granary received a new plaster finish, resulting in the original framework divisions of its walls becoming obscured. The most recent works were carried out in the 1970s and involved the replacement of the roof cladding and the addition of a lightning rod. Today, the building remains abandoned.

Description

The granary is located on a small escarpment in the eastern part of the village of Ziemięcice, on Szkolna street, in the vicinity of an irregular pond.

It is a three-storey masonry structure devoid of any features pointing towards a specific architectural style, designed on an elongated rectangular floor plan and featuring a compact, regular silhouette with a jerkin head roof. The building stands on stone foundations. Originally, its entrance door was accentuated by a stone surround, while the façade were partitioned with framework decorations. Today, the façades are devoid of decorative features, having been covered with an additional layer of plaster. The front and rear façades feature a symmetrical, seven-axial layout, with small ventilation apertures at the ground-floor level and rows of small, rectangular windows on the upper levels. The main entrance is positioned on the fourth (middle) axis of the southern façade. The side façades are likewise symmetrical, featuring a similar layout of openings, with the exception of the first-floor level, where the western façade features a single window, while the eastern façade has two. The entrance is positioned at the ground-floor level of the building. The ground-floor level of the interior is subdivided into three smaller rooms, while the upper storeys are single, open spaces. An original vaulted ceiling of the barrel type survives on the ground-floor level, while the two remaining storeys feature simple, wooden beamed ceilings supported by crossbeams.

The building can be visited from the outside.

compiled by Agata Mucha, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 28-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet of monuments of architecture, Spichlerz, prepared by A. Kwiecień, Katowice 1999.
  • Dumnicki J., Spichrze Polskie, Warsaw 1987
  • Kloss E., Rode H., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmaeler des Kreises Tost-Gleiwitz, Breslau 1943, p. 39
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. VI woj. katowickie, I. Rejduch-Samka, J. Samka (eds.), issue 5 powiat gliwicki, compiled by E. Dwornik-Gutowska, M. Gutowski, K. Kutrzebianka, Warsaw 1966, p. 113

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Szkolna , Ziemięcice
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district tarnogórski, commune Zbrosławice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area