Town hall, Zduny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The town hall is one of the town’s oldest historical buildings. It is an interesting example of a public utility architecture in Greater Poland.

History

Zduny - a town in the Krotoszyński district, located approx. 7 km to the south-west of Krotoszyn, by the road to Wrocław. The town hall is situated in the centre of a market square which was once the centre of the German Zduny. The original building with frame structure was probably erected after 1637. The today’s brick town hall was built around 1684 owing to the efforts of Rafał Leszczyński, Voivode of Kalisz. It was extended in the early 19th century - an annex with a watchtower was added. In 1996-2004, the building was thoroughly restored.

Description

The town hall was built of bricks, on a floor plan similar to a square, with a frame structure tower, filled with clay blended into the body of the town hall from the east. It is plastered and one-storey. On the eastern side, a one-storey building with a watchtower was added to the town hall at the beginning of the 19th century. Along the whole length of the façade, there is an arcade supported on five columns. It is where a weighing house was once situated. Next to it, an ell long metal bar was hanging which was used for measuring out cloth. The interiors are of an irregular two-bay layout; one of the rooms had barrel vault with lunettes. The octagonal tower with four clock faces is crowned with a cupola with an openwork lantern, topped with a spire with a ball and a flag. The original clock mechanism of the G. Weiss company from Głogów, made in 1889, has been preserved. The town hall building is covered with a three-pitched roof, half-hip over the annex, covered with roof tiles.

Accessible, today the seat of the Cultural Centre in Zduny, a café and a bank

compiled by Beata Marzęta, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Jarosław Kordy, Andrzej Macias, Krzysztof Grobelny, Grzegorz Kryg, Dzieje Zdun, Zduny 1994, s. 230
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, woj. poznańskie, t. V, z. 11, pow. krotoszyński, s. 64.
  • Roman Pawlak: Polska - Zabytkowe ratusze. Warszawa: Sport i Turystyka MUZA SA, 2003, s. 319

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1684 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 1, Zduny
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district krotoszyński, commune Zduny - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area