Palace, Zakrzów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The palace in Zakrzów was built at the turn of the 19th century to the 20th century on the initiative by Count Larisch, whose family owned Zakrzów from around 1830.

History

The palace in Zakrzów was erected by Count Larisch in 1898-1902. In the same period, a palace park was established, which was planted with species of trees, such as stone pines, cypresses, thuyas, or junipers, which occur rarely in that area.

Since 1912, the palace was owned by Count Bolko von Haslingen; during the period of his rule, the inhabitants of Zakrzów started the cultivation of herbs and production of essential oils.

After the war, the palace was owned by a fire school, herbal school, Opole State Agricultural Farm (1952-1961), and Katowice Steelworks (since 1981). At present, the palace houses the seat of the Lewada Zakrzów riding club, and the area of the complex is used as a venue for the Lewada Art Cup, among others.

Description

The palace is surrounded by a garden and a park. It was built in Parkowa Street, which is parallel to the main artery of the village. The space between the palace and the road is occupied by utility buildings.

The structure was built on the plan of an elongated rectangle with corner avant-corps and a triangular central avant-corps on the axis. On the side of the front (western) façade, the central avant-corps is preceded by a portico, while on the side of the (eastern) façade facing the garden on the axis there is a terrace with imposing stairs.

The building is made of brick and plastered, with modest façade decorations in the form of simple surrounds around the window openings and reduced frame decoration. According to the preserved photographic documentation, the ground floor was rusticated, as with all other pilasters, and the windows were decorated with aprons and cartouches. The exterior design was complemented by forged parapets on each of the roofs of the avant-corps.

The palace consists of three storeys, tall basements and adapted attic, and two bays with a hallway on the axis, which is fitted with a staircase. The central avant-corps consists of three storeys. The palace building is covered with mansard roofs, while the avant-corps with hip roofs with dormers framed by decorative surrounds.

The eastern and western façades are seven-axial with avant-corps and doubled window axes arranged in an alternating pattern. The central feature of the western façade is the balcony resting on eight columns and extending beyond the face of the façade. In the eastern façade, the avant-corps is emphasised by a T-shaped staircase preceding it; the flight of the steps reaches as far as the corner avant-corps. The southern façade is triaxial, while the northern one is biaxial. The window openings vary, from rectangular windows through windows topped with round arches in the central avant-corps to oval openings on the second storey of the avant-corps.

The interior of the palace have been altered over the years. Currently, the lower parts of the palace are used as office rooms, while the upper storey is used for residential purposes.

The monument is open to visitors from the outside. Overnight accommodation: http://www.kjlewada.pl/

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 03-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Architectural monument record sheet: Palace, so-called Old Manor House, Zakrzów, prepared by J. Prusiewicz, J. Kowalewski, 1999, Archives of the Voivodeship Monuments Protection Office in Opole
  • http://www.kjlewada.pl/ (03.08.2015)
  • http://sokoliszlak.cba.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/9.jpg (03.08.2015)

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1898-1902
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Parkowa 23, Zakrzów
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kędzierzyńsko-kozielski, commune Polska Cerekiew
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area