Iron works complex, Zagwiździe
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The iron works complex in Zagwiździe is an example of the development of the 19th-century industrial architecture in which, from the early 19th century to the second half of the 20th century, the production was based almost exclusively on unchanged technologies and devices. In 2012, the building of the small hammer forge located in the iron works complex was distinguished in the Well-Preserved Historical Monument competition in the category of industrial architecture and technological heritage.

History

The decision to create the iron works was taken personally in 1753 by king Frederick the Great. The first buildings of the works were erected shortly after the king’s decision. Together with them, the settlement of Zagwiździe was slowly created. It was named after the king - Friedrichsthal. In 1755, a high furnace was ready, and in 1757, the Western Channel was completed. The development of the iron works was stopped by war hostilities in 1761. Nevertheless, it was reconstructed and extended in the early 19th century. In 1869, the iron works became property of Kasper Kamp and Jan Pyka, and then solely of the Pyka family. At present, there is a museum in the complex.

Description

The iron works complex is located in the central part of the village, near the Budkowiczanka river, at the intersection of roads to Murów, Kupy, Stare Budkowice, and Radomierowice.

It includes buildings made of brick, with plastered façades, as well as channels and a weir, connected with the buildings in functional and technological terms. The buildings are low, mostly single-storey, and topped with half-hip roofs. Their façades feature modest Classicist decoration. They are articulated with rectangular window openings with semicircular arches. The fittings of the structures have been partly preserved.

The individual buildings are connected by two channels: the western (bigger) one, by which there are metal foundry and hammer forge buildings, and the southern (smaller) one, by which there is a cutting plant.

In the eastern part of the complex, there is a free-standing foundry building from 1839. It is composed of annexes added at a later time to a three-storey tower, combined together. Inside, in the middle of the main hall, there is the furnace.

In the western part, there is a hammer forge built in 1806. It is comprised of two combined buildings, erected on two sides of a channel: hammer forge and small hammer forge, with an annex above the channel. In the connecting section above the channel, there are three wheels and a lock which propelled the hammer mechanisms.

Storehouse 2 (1802, so-called new storehouse) was built in the eastern part of the southern channel. The cutting plant building is located in the western part. It is built on a rectangular floor plan, with façades articulated with semi-circular arcades.

The building is accessible to visitors. At present, one of the iron works buildings houses a Regional Museum Chamber. zagwizdzie.pl/55/35/galeria-eksponatow-muzealnych.html

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2015.

Bibliography

  • Juros J.T., Zagwiździe. Historia Królewskiej Kluczborskiej Huty i kolonii Friedrichstal, Ozimek/Zagwiździe, 2014.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Odlewnia żeliwa w Zagwiździu, oprac. Gancarz J., Gancarz M., 1995, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Kuźnia/Młotownia w Zagwiździu, oprac. Gancarz J., Gancarz M., 1995, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Magazyn 2 w Zagwiździu, oprac. Gancarz J., Gancarz M., 1995, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Budynek nożyc/ Magazyn 1 w Zagwiździu, oprac. Gancarz J., Gancarz M., 1995, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Huta - Odlewnia żeliwa. Zespół w Zagwiździu, oprac. Gancarz J., Gancarz M., 1995, Archiwum Narodowego Instytutu Dziedzictwa w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: factory
  • Chronology: 1802 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Zagwiździe
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Murów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area