Parish church of St Francis from Assisi, Wytowno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St Francis from Assisi

Wytowno

photo

The church is a rural sacred building erected in the Middle Ages and extended in the early modern period. It is an example of brick Gothic architecture (tower from the 14th century), neo-Gothic architecture (sacristy from 1880), and traditional half-timbered architecture (nave from the 2nd half of the 17th century), typical of the period of construction and the region.

History

The very first mentions of Wytowno in written sources date back to the 14th century. The existing Gothic tower of the church comes from the same century. In the second half of the 17th century, the half-timbered structure of the nave was erected. In the 18th century, the church underwent renovation. In 1880, two neo-Gothic annexes, that is a sacristy and a porch, were added. In 1993, the sacristy was demolished, and the porch was adapted to this function.

Descirption

The church is located in the centre of the village, on the village square, and oriented. It is placed on a plot in the shape of an irregular polygon. The church plot neighbours the plot of the rectory from the south, a green area from the west, a homestead from the north, and a road from the east. There is a palace and park complex situated on the opposite side of the road. Within the plot, there was also a church cemetery. The boundaries of the plot are marked with trees.

The church tower is built of brick, with single stones incorporated in the façades. The nave features a half-timbered structure with brick infills covered with plaster. The sacristy is made of brick.

The tower is a dominant feature in the church body; it was erected on a rectangular floor plan, has three storeys, and is covered with a pyramid tented roof giving way to an octagonal spire. From the east, the tower adjoins a nave of the same width. The nave was erected on a rectangular floor plan, without a separate chancel. It is covered with a three-sided roof. A sacristy, originally functioning as a porch, has been added to the southern façade. It was erected on a square floor plan and covered with a gable roof.

Façades of the tower are partitioned with blind windows and small window openings. The ground floor of the tower features a stepped pointed-arch portal. On the third storey, there is a clock face. The façades of the nave feature rectangular window openings, in the western section arranged in two rows: under and above the galleries. The nave does not feature architectural decoration. However, a checkerboard arrangement of posts and beams and the colours of wood contrasted with plastered infills serve as a decoration.

The interior of the church follows an open-space layout and features a ceiling with a counter ceiling. There are galleries by the western and side walls, up to the half of their height. The historical fittings of the church include e.g.: the main altar and the pulpit from the 17th century, the epitaph plaque of pastor Marcin Westphal from 1680, a stained glass with the image of Moses from the 18th century, placed in a window of the northern façade, a votive model of a ship from the 19th century, bells from 1924, a clock mechanism from 1906. Two pairs of neo-Gothic inner doors: from the porch to the nave, and from the nave to the sacristy, have also survived. On the lintel beam of the door from the nave to the sacristy, there is an inscription: ANNO 1716 DIE (?) 15 MAI JOCHEM GURGEL ZM.

The church is open to visitors. Viewing of the church is possible directly before and after services.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 03-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Świetlicka A., Wisławska E., Słownik historyczny miast i wsi województwa słupskiego, Słupsk 1998, s. 252
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury. Kościół rzym.-kat. par. p.w. św. Franciszka z Asyżu, opr. D. Cieślik,1993, Archiwum NID

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wytowno
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district słupski, commune Ustka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area