Palace, Wysoka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The palace in Wysoka features very interesting preserved painted and stucco decorations, which are currently under preservation, located in the staircase and originally also in several other imposing rooms intended for the eyes of guests. The murals from the mid-18th century are attributed to Franz Sebastini, who is the author of painted decorations, among others, in the parish church and the Głogówek Holy House.

History

The first mentions of the village of Wysoka date back to the Middle Ages. The property was owned by successive representatives of the Upper Silesian and Czech nobility. In 1727, it was owned by Baron von Poppen, passed ownership of the property to his daughter Gabriele, wide of Baron Karol von Skrbeński. Then, in the mid-18th century, the palace in Wysoka was built on the initiative of Skrbeński. In the following years, ownership of the property passed to the daughter of Gabriele and Karol, and then to their children.

In 1819, the property was taken over under a lease, and then purchased by the commune in 1821. In 1832, the palace with other buildings and park were acquired by lawyer Józef Klaps of Opava. The property remained in the family of the lawyer until the end of the 19th century; the palace was partially altered on his initiative in 1850.

After 1945, the building was used as a State Agricultural Farm and for residential purposes for some time. At present, it is a private property and undergoes renovation works.

Description

The palace is located in the western part of the village in a landscape park. It borders on the former grange buildings to the south, with a garden to the west, and a fence and a road to the north.

It was built on a floor plan in the shape of an elongated rectangle with three pronounced avant-corps on the side of the rear façade and a slightly shallower central avant-corps to the front. The main body of the palace is two-storey; the central avant-corps features three storeys and rounded corners. The building is made of brick, plastered, and covered with hip roofs.

The front façade has thirteen axes divided according to the pattern 5:3:5, and its dominant feature is the entrance avant-corps, which is adorned with pilasters with Ionic capitals covering the second and third storeys. Originally, on the second storey, over the entrance located on the axis, there was a balcony with an openwork metal balustrade, which has not survived to this day. The window openings on the axes of the main body are rectangular and framed by strip plaster surrounds; on the axes of the avant-corps they are topped with segmental arches in similar plaster surrounds. The horizontal divisions of the façades are marked by a string course and a crowning cornice. The side façades are three- and four-axial and feature divisions similar to those found in the front façade. The rear façade has eleven axes divided according to the alternating pattern of the axes of avant-corps and the main body: 2:2:3:2:2. The window openings, except for those on the axis of the central avant-corps, are rectangular. On the ground floor of the central avant-corps, on its axis, there is a niche topped with a semicircular arch and flanked by rectangular door and window openings. On the second and third storeys, the windows are installed in segment-headed niches.

The interior of the palace features the partially preserved original Baroque layout with a large hallway on the axis and a staircase. The rooms on the first storey are covered cloister, barrel and sail vaults. The staircase and the hallway, which is located on the first floor, feature the preserved original painted decorations from the mid-18th century, which are attributed to Franz Sebastini. The drawing room on the first floor is adorned with preserved stucco decorations, among others, in the form of plafonds featuring painted decorations in the Pompeian style from around 1850.

The monument is open to visitors from the outside. https://www.facebook.com/zamekwysoka

compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 12-08-2015.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, issue 2: Powiat głubczycki, T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki (eds.), Warsaw 1961, pp. 87-88.
  • Zapomniane zabytki. Dwory i pałace wiejskie południowej Polski. Śląsk Opolski, vol.1, E. Molak, I. Racławicki, Opole 2008, pp. 363-370.
  • P. Budzan, Pałac w Wysokiej [in:] Kalendarz Głubczycki 2002, Głubczyce 2001, pp. 138-149.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wysoka 1
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district głubczycki, commune Branice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area