St Bartholomew Parish Church, Wsola
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Bartholomew Parish Church

Wsola

photo

The church presents historical and artistic values. The facility is one of the few examples of the Romanesque Revival style in the Radom region.

History

The first wooden St Bartholomew church existed in this venue already around 1470. In the 16th century the building fell into ruins, “ravaged by the Calvinists” as we read in the source literature. Its further history is hazy. All we know that in 1629 another wooden church was built.

The current, third brick church was erected in the years 1918-1930 to the design of Jarosław Wojciechowski, an architect from Warsaw. In 1934 the church was consecrated. Two years before, a larch-built church of 1629 was demolished and relocated to Bodzechów in Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in 1934. The current church was thoroughly renovated in the early 1990s. Inside, the building was plastered and repainted and its historic fittings were subject to preservation works.

Description

The church is located at the main route linking Warsaw and Radom. The church was built of bricks on a Latin cross floor plan. It has a basilica layout. Its walls have remained unplastered. The front façade has a form of a single tower with an arcaded frieze. Five chapels in nave ends are found in the eastern part.

It is worth paying attention to the main altar in the interior with a crucifix and Baroque sculptures of St Peter and Paul Apostles from the mid-18th century. A tabernacle in the form of a globe with sculptures of putti from the 18th century. Two side altars from the Late Baroque. One of them includes a crucifix from the second half of the 18th century. The listed features represent a part of the wooden church’s fixtures from 1629.

The church can be viewed from the outside; inside, it can be viewed outside the hours of religious services.

Compiled by Bartłomiej Modrzewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 5-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. III, Województwo kieleckie, red. J. Z. Łoziński, B. Wolff, z. 10, Powiat radomski, inwent. K. Szczepkowska, E. Krygier, J. Z. Łoziński, Warszawa 1961.
  • Rys historyczny, Strona internetowa parafii pw. św. Bartłomieja we Wsoli, http://wsola.idsl.pl/historia.html, dostęp: 5.11.2014.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1918-1930
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Leśna 2, Wsola
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district radomski, commune Jedlińsk
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area