Town fortifications (defensive walls, tower, moat) - Zabytek.pl
Wschowa, Ratuszowa, Łazienna, Rzeźnicka, pl. Farny, Rogalińskiego, Herbergera
woj. lubuskie, pow. wschowski, gm. Wschowa-miasto
The partially reconstructed sections of the walls and the fortified tower emphasise the character of the medieval complex.
The construction of the fortifications began in the first half of the 14th century. Probably these were wooden and earthen structures. The construction of fortifications made of stone and partly of brick, which were extended and reinforced during the 15th and 16th century, began after Wschowa was incorporated into the Kingdom of Poland by Casimir the Great in 1346. The oldest section of the defensive wall which dates from the time before the reign of Casimir the Great is located between the castle and the Polish Gate. Then, the wall were built to the west of the Polish Gate. The fortifications were closed probably after 1409. Later the defensive walls were reinforced by building a second row. The town walls, surrounded by ramparts and a moat, had two gates: the Polish Gate to the north and the Głogów Gate to the south. In the 19th century both gates and some sections of the walls were demolished, converting the moat to a promenade. Recently, the upper sections of the walls were reconstructed.
The fortifications surround the area of the chartered town with a Market Square, parish church and a Protestant evangelical church. Preserved fragments from a geometrical figure which is roughly oval in shape. They deform in the eastern part, forming the so-called neck connecting the town to the castle. The wall is characterised by the lack of uniformity and shows numerous traces of repairs and reinforcements. The foundations were built of irregular fieldstone. The crest of the walls has not survived. The north-western and southern section feature blind embrasures designed to protect the defending riflemen against enemy fire, terminating in segmental arches, and buttresses. A reconstructed bastion is located in Ratuszowa Street.
The monument is available to visitors.
Compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 25-09-2014 r.
Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 307-308.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 414-415.
Category: defensive wall
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BL.12494, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BL.17611