Residential building, Wschowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The monument is one of the most valuable examples of a Renaissance house in the region.

History

The house was built after a fire in 1598, probably on the site formerly occupied by a wooden or wattle-and-daub dwelling, similarly as the neighbouring tenement houses no. 2 and 3. Until 1607, the building housed an evangelical school. It underwent alterations after another fire in 1689 and was extended in 1887. In 1945, the building was abandoned and remained unused for many years. Complete renovation of the building was completed in 1976. In 2012, as part of the revitalisation of the Old Town, the facades of tenement houses no. 4 and two neighbouring buildings underwent renovation. Currently, its ground floor houses the office of the Municipal Guard.

Description

The house is situated in the Old Town, within the ramparts, on the southern side of Zamkowy Square, on the edge of densely built-up area. It is an example of the Renaissance residential buildings. It was built of brick, has multiple storeys, a usable loft and a basement underneath a part of the building. The structure is covered with gable roofs made of ceramic tiles. The basements are topped with groin and barrel vaults. Two rooms on the first floor feature barrel vaults; the ground floor has the original wall arcades. The interior layout has been altered and now features four bays. The most representative component of the building is the front facade topped with a lavishly decorated gable end. Ornamented with architectural detail in the form of window surrounds, with decorative sections on upper storeys, pilasters, arcades, profiled crowning cornice. Each opening is topped with a motif of a simplified palmette and a two-storey gable framed by volutes.

Limited access to the monument. The upper storeys of the building are used as private dwellings.

Compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 18-09-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 416.

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: koniec XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Zamkowy 4, Wschowa
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district wschowski, commune Wschowa - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area