The Holy Trinity molenna (prayer house) of the Old Believers, Wodziłki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The Holy Trinity molenna (prayer house) of the Old Believers

Wodziłki

photo

One of the few functioning temples of the Old Believers in the Podlaskie Voivodeship with historical values. Its architecture refers to the this type of structures existing in the country.

History

The Wodziłki village was established in 1788 by Antoni Eysmont. Most probably, it was first settled by the Old Believers, who arrived in the Suwałki region in the second half of the 18th century. In 1803, two communes were established - in Głęboki Rów and Pogorzelec. Wodziłki belonged to the Głęboki Rów commune. In 1921, an independent parish was established. The temple was built around 1885; in 1928, a bell tower was added. The molenna underwent thorough renovations in 1936 and 1997.

Description

The molenna is located in the centre of the village, by the road, on a rectangular square. The building is oriented towards the east. It is built on a rectangular floor plan, with a tower on a pentagonal floor plan in the west. A wooden post construction; the tower built as a post-and-frame structure, resting on a stone foundation, weatherboarded. In the interior of the eastern part, there is a kliros separated by a balustrade, covered by an elevated ceiling with mitre joints on the sides; the part for the faithful covered with a flat ceiling with a cove. A single-space, weatherboarded interior. In the front, a three-storey bell tower; pentagonal on the first and second storey, octagonal on the third storey. Covered with a conical spire with an onion-like cupola. The spire base is decorated with twelve small, triangular gables covered with small gable roofs.

The monument can be viewed from the outside; the interior can also be visited after making an arrangement.

compiled by Iwona Górska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Bialystok, 20-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kotyńska-Stetkiewicz J., Ryżewski G., Katalog zabytkowego budownictwa drewnianego. Architektura sakralna. Pow. augustowski, sejneński, suwalski, t.1, Białystok 2005, s. 50-51.

General information

  • Type: sacral architecture
  • Chronology: 1885 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wodziłki 7
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district suwalski, commune Jeleniewo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area