Town hall, Wleń
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Classicist town hall. It was erected in the fourth quarter of the 19th century, replacing an earlier structure which was lost to the blaze. The building was renovated on several occasions - most recently during the 1980s and 1990s as well as in 2014. It is a representative example of an early modern public building in Silesia. One particularly notable feature is the tower clock mechanism dating back to 1801.

History

The town hall, erected in years 1823-24, replaced an earlier building which was severely damaged by fire during the siege of the town by Russian forces in 1813. During the 19th century, the town hall received a rear annex with a tower. In 1994, the tower was restored, following a full-scale renovation of the entire building in 2014.

Description

The building is located in the town centre, in the middle of the market square. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a two-storey brick structure with a converted attic. The town hall is compact in shape, covered with a gable roof with jerkin heads and narrow skirt roofs separating the gables from the façades below. A slender, octagonal steeple with a clock and gallery, topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern, rises above the roof ridge. A shallow, three-axial avant-corps incorporating the main entrance projects from the southern façade, mirrored by the pronounced, polygonal annex in the form of a low tower adjoining the northern façade. The building’s longer and shorter façades follow a seven- and three-axial design respectively; the walls are covered with plaster. The rusticated ground floor section is separated from the upper storeys by a narrow cornice. At the top, below the eaves, there is a profiled crowning cornice. The main entrance in the middle of the front façade avant-corps is rectangular in shape, framed by a plain, profiled portal. The window openings are likewise rectangular, adorned with plasterwork surrounds; a narrow cornice runs directly below the first floor windows. Some of the rooms inside the building feature vaulted ceilings.

The interiors may be explored during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 27-04-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. II, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, pp. 418-420,
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 937.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Bohaterów Nysy 7, Wleń
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district lwówecki, commune Wleń - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area