Parish Church of St Michael Archangel, Wiry
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of St Michael Archangel

Wiry

photo

An example of a Gothic church with a transept added in the early 20th century. The church and the adjoining cemetery are circumscribed by a tall, stone wall with a pair of wicket gates.

History

The first mentions of a church in this location date back to 1250, with the current, Late Gothic building having been erected somewhere around the year 1500. Alteration works on the church were later performed in the 18th century. Later still, a transept and a new chancel were added (1906). Renovation works were carried out in years 1956, 1976 and 2000.

Description

The church is a single-nave structure with a transept and a rectangular chancel which is adjoined by a sacristy to the south. A chapel designed on a square floor plan and equipped with a roof lantern adjoins the northern side of the nave. Towards the west stands the tower, topped with a crenellated parapet and a slender spire clad with sheet metal. The easternmost part of the church is the rectangular chancel, its walls reinforced by buttresses. The gable roofs of the church are clad with ceramic roof tiles. The transept roof ridge rises higher than that of the nave. An octagonal steeple with a lantern juts from the crossing of the ridges. The porch, positioned towards the south, features a volute-shaped gable outline. The gable walls of the transept and chancel are crowned with penitential crosses - a later addition to the design.

The interior fixtures and fittings are designed in the Late Baroque and Rococo styles, made of wood and polychromed (the altarpiece, the pulpit, the baptismal font); in addition, there are also various sculptures and paintings, dating back to the 18th and 19th century.

The cemetery stretching around the church, although no longer in use, is notable for the inclusion of many interesting examples of sepulchral art, including certain objects made of wood. It is surrounded with an 17th-century stone wall with two wicket gates which, however, is not covered by the inscription into the register of monuments. The north-eastern corner of the wall takes the form of a roundel, with a number of epitaph plaques from the late 19th century being embedded in the wall’s surface.

The church may be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 05-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, vol. 20, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2005

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1500 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wiry
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district świdnicki, commune Marcinowice
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area