St Michael Archangel Church, Winna Góra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

St Michael Archangel Church

Winna Góra

photo

The Baroque church of St Michael the Archangel in Winna Góra is an interesting example of a bishop-founded object, which was extended for patriotic reasons in the second half of the 19th century due to it being associated with General Henryk Dąbrowski. The historical and spatial links of the church with the neighbouring palace complex are also particularly noteworthy.

History

Winna Góra was first mentioned in written sources in 1202; it remained property of the bishops of Poznań since mid-13th century. In 1796, as a result of a dissolution performed by the Prussian authorities, it becomes property of the Prussian government. Following the liberation of Greater Poland in 1806, the estate of Winna Góra is vested by Napoleon I in General Henryk Dąbrowski, who is later buried at Winna Góra after his death in 1818. By way of succession, the village becomes property of the Mańkowski family.

The original church was built before 1305. The 1695 inspection contains mentions of a 200-year-old wooden church.

The existing church was founded in 1766 by bishop Teodor Czartoryski together with the lessee of Winna Góra, sword-bearer of Poznań Antoni Bogucki. In 1863, the hexagonal tomb chapel of General Henryk Dąbrowski was added to the western wall thereof according to the project of Seweryn Mielżyński, with funds acquired through the efforts of the Poznań Society of Friends of Sciences in Poznań. It houses the neoclassical sarcophagus of General Henryk Dąbrowski, the creator of the Polish Legions in Italy, which was inspired by the Roman Tomb of the Scipios.

In 1912, a neo-Baroque transept and chancel were added to the church according to the project of architect Stanisław Borecki. In 1913, Bishop Edward Likowski consecrated the church. In 1918, Stanisław Smogulecki adorned the chapel of Dąbrowski with painted decorations. In 1961, the roof above the chapel of Dąbrowski and his sarcophagus were renovated. The subsequent years saw the renovation of church façades, roofs and painted decorations. In 1985, a new free-standing bell tower with a controversial, modernist design was erected to the south of the church.

Description

The church of St Michael the Archangel is situated on an elevation in the northern part of the village, to the north-west of the palace and park complex in Winna Góra. The building is not oriented; its chancel faces north, and its façade faces south, in the direction of a nearby palace. It is built of brick, plastered, on the floor plan of a Latin cross with a chancel with a pentagonal termination, a hexagonal chapel adjoining it on the western side and two rectangular annexes situated between the arms of the transept and the chancel. The body of the main nave is covered with a gable roof with a steeple in the middle, the arms of the transept are covered with double-pitched roofs, and the chapel of Dąbrowski with a bell roof. The nave is separated from the transept with a narrower arch; in the southern part, the organ gallery is supported by 4 Tuscan columns. Notable fittings include the painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary with Child from the second half of the 16th century, placed in the Rococo main altar from the end of the 18th century, and two related paintings created in the years 1810-1818, with General Henryk Dąbrowski providing the funds: “The Miracle of St Casimir” and “The Miracle of St Kinga”, placed in the church transept.

The church can be viewed from the outside. Holy Masses: Sunday 9 a.m., 11 a.m.; weekdays: summer: 6 p.m., winter: 5 p.m.; public holidays on weekdays: 10 a.m., 6 p.m.; winter: 5 p.m.

compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznań, 14-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Barokowe kościoły Wielkopolski, red. Bednarska Lena, Poznań 2006, s. 310-311.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, Winna Góra - kościół parafialny pw. św. Michała Archanioła, oprac. Kaczyński Maciej, 1996, Archiwum Wielkopolskiego Wojewódzkiego Konserwatora Zabytków w Poznaniu.
  • Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 393.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1766 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Winna Góra
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district średzki, commune Środa Wielkopolska - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area