Church of St John of Nepomuk - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. kępiński, gm. Rychtal-gmina wiejska
It is an example of a modest rural wooden church characteristic for this region, surrounded with a village graveyard with tombs of its former owners from the 19th century.
The first wooden church was constructed in the 13th century, soon after the village was founded.
During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church.
The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666.
After a cholera epidemic in 1772, the town was chartered again close to the old village.
In 1812, the existing church was built, founded by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław.
Since the end of World War II, the church has been renovated numerous times. The most recent renovation took place in 2006.
In 2000, the church became an independent parish.
The village of Wielki Buczek is situated 16 km to the south of Kępno, by the road from Trzcinica to Rychtal. The church was built at the southern end of the village, to the south of a village road. The graveyard and the church occupy a flat terrain shaped like an elongated rectangle. To the west of the church, there are graves dating back to the 19th century. To the east, there is a functioning graveyard. In the north-eastern corner of the graveyard, a wooden bell tower was built. Around the graveyard, which is surrounded by a wooden picket and concrete fence, contemporary Stations of the Cross have been set up, and deciduous trees and thujas grow there.
The village of Wielki Buczek was first mentioned in Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis, which was written down in the era of the bishop from Wierzbno in the years 1295-1305, under the name “Buczek”. In the Middle Ages, the village was owned by the bishops of Wrocław. The first church in the village was founded in the 13th century. During the Reformation, the church area was occupied by religious dissenters, who built a new church. The church was reclaimed by Catholics in 1666. The village, depopulated as a result of wars and a cholera epidemic, was chartered again in 1772. All homesteads in the old village were burnt down and new settlers did not have the courage to build new houses there, which is why the village was chartered in a new place. The existing wooden church was founded in 1812 by Jan Maurycy Strachwitz, a canon from Wrocław and parish priest of Namysłów. In 1845, the estate in Wielki Buczek was handed over to Count Henryk von Strachwitz. In 1873, Wielki Buczek became property of Count Aleksander Friedrich Constantin von Mitschke-Collande, who served as the starost of Ostrzeszów. It was him who moved the district capital from Ostrzeszów to Kępno, which exhibited more dynamic growth, in 1856. An impressive family tomb of the heirs of Wielki Buczek can be found at the graveyard. In 1894, the colonies Szarlota and Okrzyce, the village and the watermill were called “Buczek”. In 1928, the population of Wielki Buczek amounted to 258, with 228 of them being Polish and 30 being German. The church has been renovated numerous times since the end of World War II. Centuries ago, it was a filial church of the church of the Martyrdom (formerly Beheading) of St John in Rychtal. In 2000, it became an independent parish.
The building has a wooden log structure and features a the tower with a post-and-beam structure above the nave to the west; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. It is oriented and has a single nave on a nearly-square floor plan, with an elongated chancel, which is narrower than the nave and features a polygonal termination. The chancel is not covered with weatherboards and features a log structure. A sacristy and a small annex adjoin the chancel on the southern side. A porch was added to the nave on the western side. The church nave is higher than the chancel, with a quadrangular tower covered with weatherboards, topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern, which is clad with wood shingles. Gable roofs above the nave and the chancel, as well as mono-pitched roofs clad with wood shingles. Inside the church, there are flat ceilings with crown moulding. On the western side, there is a choir gallery supported by two wooden pillars. Classicist fittings from the 19th century prevail in the church. On the eastern wall of the chancel, there is a folk crucifix. A painting of St John of Nepomuk is incorporated into the main altar from the 19th century.
The church can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl
compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 07-04-2015.
- Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
- Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
- Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
- Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 4-5, Warszawa 1958.
- Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.160825, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.62457