Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Wielki Buczek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Wielki Buczek

photo

The church is an interesting example of an 18th-century ecclesiastical building having a timber-frame structure; this type of architecture is typical for the borderland between Greater Poland and Pomerania. The church still has the original fittings, including altars having late-Mannerist and Baroque features. One of them incorporates 17th-century paintings attributed to the artistic circle of a distinguished painter from Gdańsk — Herman Han.

History

Wielki Buczek, which used to be a village owned by members of the nobility, was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1446. In the 1st half of the 15th century, it belonged to the Wituński family, in 1453 — to the Potulickis, later — the Debrzyńskis, in 1662 — the Raczyńskis, in the late 17th century — the Karnkowski, and starting from c. 1700 — to the Götzendorf-Grabowskis. In 1772, following the First Partition of Poland, Wielki Buczek came under the rule of the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1873, the estate was taken over by the Germans and was divided into a number of parcels. Originally, Wielki Buczek fell within the jurisdiction of the parish in Zakrzewo; an independent parish was established in the village after 1578 (1581?). Most certainly, the village had its own parish in 1618. The first wooden church was probably built in the 4th quarter of the 16th century; it was founded by the contemporary owners of the village — brothers Jan and Grzegorz Debrzyński. Inspection reports from 1652-53 and 1695 describe the condition of the building as poor. The timber-frame building which has survived to this day was built on the same site as the previous church in the years 1729-1734. It was founded, and most likely also designed, by Adam Stanisław Grabowski, who later became Bishop of Chełmża. A bell tower was constructed nearby the church in 1739. The church was renovated many times in the 19th century, e.g. in the years 1833-35, the carpenter Carl Kleyer of Silno made new church and tower roofs and new door and window woodwork and renovated the bell tower. Renovation works were also carried out in 1869 and between 1888 and 1890. The church was also renovated many times after 1945, e.g. in 1959 and in the years 1991-1995. The works included redecoration of the interior, conservation of the altars, renovation of the structural components of the walls, reinforcement of the foundations and the wall base, and replacement of the roof covering. In 1970, the old sacristy on the north side of the building was replaced with a new one.

Description

The church is situated on a small hillock in the central part of the village, by a local road. It is oriented towards the east. The church is surrounded by a former graveyard enclosed with a wooden fence. The graveyard contains old graves from the 19th and 20th centuries. The church is accompanied by the small wooden bell tower from 1739 and a rectory built in 1863.

The aisleless church has a rectangular floor plan; the chancel terminates in a semi-hexagon. The tower on the west side, built over the roof ridge, has a square floor plan. A small sacristy used to adjoin the north wall of the building; it was replaced with a new rectangular annex. On the south side, there is a small square porch. The nave is covered with a tall gable roof; the much lower porch has a similar roof. The new sacristy has a three-pitched roof. The rear section of the chancel is also covered with a three-pitched roof. The dominant element of the building is the tall tower, crowned with a Baroque roof with a lantern.

The church has a wooden frame structure with brick infill, resting on a stone and brick wall base. The interior walls and the exterior infill are covered with plaster. The new sacristy is made of brick. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a wooden beamed ceiling with a counter ceiling made of boards.

The design of the exterior walls is based on the contrast between the dark timber frame and the plastered brick infill, painted white. The main entrance and the side entrance in the south porch are rectangular in shape. In the rear section of the chancel and in the north and south walls, there are three large, semicircular-arched windows; some of them are filled with stained glass from 1934. The west façade, divided by means of a wooden string course, and the tower façades have small rectangular windows. The walls of the new sacristy are covered with plaster and boards imitating a frame structure.

Inside, there is a wooden ceiling with rounded corners, resting on the walls and — on the west side — two decorative posts. The ceiling is decorated with paintings: the section in chancel depicts the Holy Trinity and the Nativity and Resurrection of Christ (most likely, this section of the ceiling comes from the previous church building) and the section in the nave depicts the Eucharist, the Tables of the Law, and saints in medaillons. On the west side, there is a music gallery.

The original fittings of the church include three altars having late-Mannerist and Baroque features, dating from the 1st half of the 18th century. The altar on the south side (formerly serving as the main altar) features two extremely valuable, 17th-century paintings, coming from the previous church: the Coronation of Mary and the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary, attributed to the artistic circle of Herman Han, a distinguished painter from Gdańsk.

The church may be visited from the outside and — by prior arrangement — also inside.

More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Bydgoszcz Diocese: www.diecezjabydgoszcz.pl

compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 04-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Bończa-Bystrzycki L., Parafia katolicka Trójcy Świętej w Wielkim Buczku (1821-1945), Koszalin 2004.
  • Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, Poznań 2001, s. 135.
  • Callier E., Powiat nakielski w XVI stuleciu : szkic geograficzno-historyczny, Poznań 1886, s. 5-6.
  • Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 277-78.
  • Kochanowska J., Kościół pod wezwaniem Św. Trójcy w Buczku Wielkim : architektura i wyposażenie, Rocznik Nadnotecki, XXI, 1990, s. 9-29.
  • Ptaszyńska D., Zabytki powiatu złotowskiego, w: Ziemia złotowska, red. W. Wrzesiński, Gdańsk 1969, s. 256-57.
  • Śmigielski A., Złotów, Poznań 1995, s. 69-70.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1729-1734
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wielki Buczek
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district złotowski, commune Lipka
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area