Manor house - Zabytek.pl
Warta Bolesławiecka, 62
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. bolesławiecki, gm. Warta Bolesławiecka
Despite the passage of time, it has retained both its Renaissance silhouette and the sumptuous stonework and sgraffito decorations. Along with the surrounding farm buildings, it remains a rare and valuable example of a preserved manor house and farm complex of the early modern period, notable both due to its design consistency and the links that it has with one of the most significant magnate families in Silesia - the von Zedlitz family.
The manor house was erected before the year 1540 east of the nearby medieval castle, most likely at the request of the von Kittlitz family. Initially a relatively austere design, it was subsequently extended somewhere around the years 1540-41 by Hans von Zedlitz, receiving a new, eastern wing. The northern wing was added in 1612 or thereabouts, at the initiative of Abraham von Sommerfeld. In the second half of the 18th century, the manor house was remodelled in the Baroque style, with most of the works being limited to the interiors; the building underwent renovation works at the turn of the 20th century, with its sgraffito decorations being carefully reconstructed. After 1945, the building remained in partial use; later on, in the 1970s, it was abandoned and began descending into a state of ruin. The surrounding manor farm became part of the local State Agricultural Holding (PGR). In the early 21st century the entire complex was acquired by a private individual and thoroughly restored over the years that followed. The former grange now serves as farm maintained by the owner of the manor house.
The manor house is located in the south-western part of the village. It is a two-storey structure made of split stone with the addition of brick, designed on a C-shaped floor plan, its arms facing the west. It consists of three distinct sections - the main body and a pair of wings embracing an open, trapezium-shaped courtyard. The pond which surrounds the building to the north, east and south performs the role of a moat, with a two-span stone bridge facilitating access to the mansion. The two-storey building features highly decorative Mannerist gables from the early 17th century and is covered with an ensemble of tall gable roofs. The oldest, southern wing is a single-bay structure with a central avant-corps on its southern side, featuring the former vestibule in the middle, flanked by a number of rooms with vaulted ceilings of the barrel type, with lunettes. The northern wing is likewise a single-bay structure with a two-storey avant-corps on its eastern side. A grand, representational hall graces the first-floor level of this section, with wooden ceilings used for all the rooms throughout the entire wing. An additional bay positioned on the courtyard side and designed to house the staircase is a later addition (second half of the 18th century). The main body of the manor house is a two-bay structure with an avant-corps in its southern section projecting towards the east; a winding staircase can be found in the rear suite of rooms, while a connecting section with a vestibule is positioned on the northern side of the structure. The staircase inside the northern wing can be accessed directly from this connecting section. Renaissance sgraffito decorations from the 16th/17th century grace the front façade, with some parts thereof having been reconstructed in the late 19th/early 20th century. The house features a profusion of Renaissance detailing, including the rectangular, fasciated window surrounds in different variants (plain, profiled or adorned with rosettes). The front façade avant-corps is adorned with the inscribed date 1541. A Baroque main entrance portal from the 18th century graces the front façade of the house, featuring diagonal pilasters, corbels and a volute-shaped pediment. Inside, the house features a number of ornate portals, including one adorned with an inscription and the date 1540 inside the eastern wing.
A two-storey gatehouse from the 16th century adjoins the north-eastern corner of the manor house; this building, covered with a gable roof with eyebrow dormers, serves as a connecting section between the manor house and its outbuildings. The manor farm yard surrounded by an ensemble of outbuildings (16th-17th century, modernised in the 18th and 19th century) is located to the north-east of the manor house. The outbuildings are two-storey, two-bay structures, their ground floor rooms featuring vaulted ceilings of the barrel type, some with lunettes. Some of the rooms feature central pillars supporting groin vaults and sail vaults resting on structural arches. Surviving fasciated window and door surrounds made of stone (late 16th/early 17th century) still adorn the façades of the outbuildings. South of the manor house lies the park, with remnants of a medieval castle located at its outskirts.
The building may only be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 11-06-2015.
- Łuczyński R., Zamki, dwory i pałace w Sudetach, Legnica 2008, pp. 393-398.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 7 Pogórze Kaczawskie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 2002, pp. 607-610,
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 918.
- Zamki i dwory obronne w Sudetach, Vol. II Księstwo jaworskie, Wrocław 2009, pp. 226-229.
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.84651, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BK.73288,PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BK.73312