Manor farm, Warnikajmy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Unique with respect to its architecture, complex of manor farm buildings erected in historicising style with individualised design. The complex is architecturally reminiscent of Medieval castle complexes, called “Mały Malbork.”

History

Warnikajmy was established at the end of the 15th century. The property existing here for a long time belonged to the Egloffstein family, who in the 19th century sold the goods to the von Borcke family from Tołkin. In 1902, as an inheritance after parents, the property was given to Klara von Below, who a year later married the staroste of Gierdawy, baron Juliusz von Braun. The spouses appointed a new administrator in Warnikajmy and started the reconstruction, extension and modernisation of the manor farm. The works began in 1913, stopped for the time of First World War (1914-1918). The author of the complex design is an architect Paul Engler, who at the request of the owners, designed the manor farm referring to the architecture of medieval castles. Design works were preceded by study visits in the castle in Malbork and Lidzbark Warmiński. The pump station and brick factory were erected as first. Subsequently, the remaining manor farm buildings and representational, Gothic-stylised castle, manor - seat of the owners (1918-1924). Estate covered more than 500 ha of land, and a sheep and Dutch-race cattle farming was carried out in the manor farm. The construction of the complex increased the strain of the finances of the owners. In 1930 a compulsory auctioning of assets was carried out, and in 1934 the manor was demolished. In the period of 1935-1945 on the land of the former manor farm, there were four owners. Until 1935 the goods officially belonged to baron’s wife Klara von Braun. Manor farm was visited by husband’s nephew when he was young - Wernher von Braun, later creator of V1 and V2 rockets, after 1945 the co-creator of the American cosmic program “Apollo.” After the end of the Second World War manor farm was nationalised and transformed into a State Agricultural Farm. In subsequent years some of the buildings were dismantled, including the brick factory. In the 1950s the former dairy was adapted as baths. In the 1970s two office buildings were erected within the manor farm area. There was a library point in the administrator’s house, then a chapel. In the years 1974-1979 manor farm belonged to Kętrzyńskie Zjednoczenie Rolno-Przemysłowe “Agrokompleks.” After 1989, the manor farm was managed by the Agriculture Property Agency of the State Treasury, which was leasing the manor farm buildings. In 2003 the manor farm was sold. New owner dismantled some of the historic buildings including sheepcote and pigsty (2004), new buildings were also erected within the area of the complex. Only a part of historic complex was entered into the register of monuments.

Description

A manor farm and village Warnikajmy are located approx. 6 km to the East from Korsze, on the western side of the Garbno - Równina Dolna road. From the North the border of the manor farm is demarcated by a former Evangelical cemetery, from the South the road to Korsze, from the south-east - a watercourse. In the western part of the manor farm there is a pond, in the north-eastern part - the greenery. There is no dominant in the complex (originally it was a non-existent manor). The former manor house complex consists of four parts: residentional one (administrator’s house, stables, coach houses, dairy), utility one with farm buildings (in the western part of the complex), residential colony of workers and an area of the former brick factory. In the southern part of the complex there is a gate complex (residential building with utility building with a wall stylised for a defensive one), in a central part there is an administrator’s house complex with gatehouse, granaries, stables, coach houses, dairy and ice house on a fortified tower. The buildings have brick facades, the fortified tower was erected mostly of stone, one of the stables has stone buttresses (there are stalls and troughs preserved inside). Dairy, then the workshop, with cloisters. Farm buildings were erected in a historicising, neo-Gothic style with characteristic elements of facade decor, including: stepped gables, pointed-arch window openings, blind windows and arcaded cornice. The roofs of the buildings are covered with ceramic tiles.

Limited access to the historic building. Manor farm buildings are fenced (except the gatehouse). The building may be seen from the outside.

Compiled by Maurycy H. Domino, 8.12.2014.





Bibliography

  • Karty ewidencyjne zabytków architektury i budownictwa, Folwark w Warnikajmach, Korowaj T., 2004, archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Olsztynie
  • Korowaj T., Dzieje miasta i gminy Korsze. Przewodnik historyczny, Korsze 2007, s. 172-175.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1913-1914
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Warnikajmy
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district kętrzyński, commune Korsze - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area