Manor house complex - Zabytek.pl
Tuliszków, Haliny Oleksiak 2
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. turecki, gm. Tuliszków - miasto
In terms of layout and design, it is a continuation of the early modern nobility town residence; the bonds with the past are manifested in the fact that the site which used to be occupied by a fortified manor house, elevated and surrounded by a moat, is now occupied by a grand brick granary.
The town of Tuliszków was granted municipal rights before 1459. From the 14th to the 16th century, it belonged to the Zaręba family, and in the next centuries — to the Opaliński and Konarzewski families (17th century), the Zamoyskis (18th century), and the Mycielskis. Fires that broke out in 1884 and 1911 nearly completely destroyed the residential part of the town.
The manor house was built in the 1st half of the 19th century by the contemporary owner of Tuliszków, Franciszek Mycielski. Most likely, it replaced an earlier residence. The last owner of the Tuliszków estate before the war was Ludomir Puławski, who also owned the nearby village of Grzymiszew. At that time, the manor house in Tuliszków was used by his son, Lucjan. After World War II, the property was taken over by the State Treasury. At first, the manor house contained offices of the Communal Cooperative “Samopomoc Chłopska” and flats. Since 1992, it has been the seat of the Communal-Municipal Cultural Centre. The granary was built in c. 1830 on a site which used to be occupied by a former fortified manor house. The manor park was established at the same time as the manor house was built.
The town of Tuliszków is situated approx. 15 km to the south of Konin, by a road connecting Konin and Turek. The Tuliszków-Zadworna manor house complex is situated on the east side of that road. In the western part of the vast park is the manor house, currently housing a cultural centre. To the north-east of the residence, on a small hill, separated from the park with the remains of a moat, is the brick granary.
The classical manor house, built on a rectangular floor plan, has brick walls covered with plaster, resting on a stone wall base. It has one storey and an attic. The gable roof is covered with felt paper. Originally, the interior had a two-bay layout but was later modified. The front façade of the building, in which the main entrance is located, faces the east. There is a side entrance in the south wall. The entrance to the basement is located in the west wall. The central axis of the nine-axis front façade is accentuated with an avant-corps with a triangular pediment, spanning two storeys. Above the entrance, in the upper part of the avant-corps, there are two windows. A similar avant-corps, with windows instead of a door, is located on the central axis of the west façade.
The park is currently open to the public. It is covered with trees and shrubs, mainly of indigenous species. Most probably, it was originally a landscape park; currently, it is characterised by regular forms, typical of a town park. The trees grow more densely in the north-eastern part of the park, where there is a two-storeyed, brick granary, undoubtedly being the dominant architectural component of the complex. It stands on an islet surrounded by a moat. The building, built on a square floor plan, has brick walls covered with plaster. It has three storeys and a basement and is topped with a hip roof. All façades are adorned with two flat pilasters and two string courses accentuating the junctions between the storeys and are thus divided into nine fields, each of which incorporates a rectangular window, with the exception of the central fields, which incorporate circle top windows. Moreover, one of the granary façades is topped with a triangular pediment with an additional round window. The location of the granary on a site which was previously occupied by a fortified manor house and its military costume seem to have been selected intentionally in order to reflect the romantic sentiments of its builders: they are reminiscent of the times of greatness of Poland.
The buildings can be visited from the outside.
compiled by Tomasz Łuczak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 16-11-2015.
- Makary Górzyński, Zabytki miasta Turku i powiatu tureckiego, T. 2. Rezydencje powiatu tureckiego, Turek 2009, s. 241-252.
- Wielkopolska. Słownik krajoznawczy, red. Łęcki Włodzimierz, Poznań 2002, s. 371.
- Piotr Maluśkiewicz, Ziemia konińska. Przewodnik turystyczny, Konin 2002, s. 156-157.
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.171590, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.96639