Filial church of the Motherhood of Blessed Virgin Mary, Trzcinno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial church of the Motherhood of Blessed Virgin Mary



The church is an example of an eighteenth-century sacred building, erected using the traditional half-timbered construction technique. It is distinguishable by now rare preserved galleries running along the whole interior of the church.


The village of Trzcinno was established by the von Massow family in 1562. In 1590, there already was a church in the village, founded by its owners. At first, the church was a filial church of the parish in Wałdowo. No earlier than in 1860 did it become an independent parish. The present church was probably built in the mid- 17th century. Probably in the 18th century, the tower was erected and the galleries were placed in the interior.


The church is situated at the northern verge of the village. It is oriented towards the east and located on a large rectangular plot neighbouring fields or wastelands from the west and the east, a road and woods from the north, and village buildings from the south. Within the plot, there was also a church cemetery the remains of which include the burial plot of the von Massow family and relics of other gravestones. The area surrounding the church is overgrown by old trees.

The church is a half-timbered structure with brick infills covered with plaster. The nave of the church is erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with an altar section terminating in a semi-hexagon. It is covered with a gable roof, and with a three-pitched roof in the altar section. From the west, the nave adjoins a narrower tower, erected on a rectangular floor plan. The tower has two storeys. The second storey is narrower than the first one, and covered with an octagonal cupola. Between the two storeys of the tower, there are mono-pitched roofs.

Its façades feature two rows of rectangular window openings, under and above the galleries. The church does not feature any architectural decorations, apart from the second storey of the tower, which has segmental arcades. Additionally, the structure of the building featuring a checkerboard arrangement of posts and beams and the colours of wood contrasted with plastered infills serve as a decoration.

The interior of the church follows an open-space layout and is covered with a bare beamed ceiling. The interior is surrounded by galleries, built probably in the 18th century. In the north-eastern corner of the ground floor, there is a sacristy. The main entrance to the building is located in the side (southern) wall of the tower, and the second entrance is located in the eastern wall of the nave. The original door from the porch in the tower to the nave and in the eastern wall of the nave have been preserved.

The original fixtures and fittings include the main altarpiece dating back to the half of the 17th century, and an epitaph plaque made of sheet metal in 1775.

The church is open to visitors. Viewing of the church is possible directly before and after services.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 30-09-2014.


  • Gohrbandt E., Ortsgeschichte, [w:] Der Kreis Rummelsburg. Ein Heimatbuch, Stettin 1938, s. 169
  • Sadkowski T., Drewniana architektura sakralna na Pomorzu Gdańskim w XVIII-XX w., Gdańsk 1977
  • Schulz H., Kirchenbau, [w:] Der Kreis Rummelsburg. Ein Heimatbuch, Stettin 1938, s. 425
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury. Kościół protestancki, ob. rzym.-kat. fil. p.w. Macierzyństwa NMP, opr. H. Soja,1996, Archiwum NID

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: poł. XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Trzcinno
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district bytowski, commune Miastko - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area