Hillfort, Tłustoręby
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

The hill fort is a remnant of fortified settlements in the region of Niemodlin, increasing the knowledge of its range and nature in the Middle Ages. It is an important feature of the cultural landscape of the village that indicates long settlement tradition.

Location and description

The hill fort is located about 400 m south-west of the junction in the centre of the village of Tłustoręby, and about 350 m east of the Nysa Kłodzka river. It is situated in a meadow beside an arable field, at the back of the farms.

The structure has retained its shape to a small degree and now has the shape of a slightly arched hill with diffuse slopes, surrounded by a barely discernible moat. The entire site is overgrown with grass and situated on unused land. The nearby area is covered with small trees and shrubs.

History

The hill fort dates back to the early medieval period (11th-12th c.) and the high medieval period (14th-15th c.).

The structure was probably an old fortified settlement, mentioned by Oscar Vug, researcher exploring the history of Silesia, in the book entitled "Schlesische Heidenschanzen, ihre Erbauer und die Handelsstraßen der Alten" (Silesian fortifications, their builders and old trade routes) from 1890, where it is called a "castle hill" (Burghügel). In old folk records, the hill was also called a "Golden Mountain" (Goldberg), where a robbers' castle was believed to have been located.

Condition and results of archaeological research

Surface surveys were carried out in the interwar period, among others, by R. Schindler in 1932, who found fragments of vessels decorated with grooves and wavy ornaments, dated by Georg Raschke to the 11th-13th centuries.

Limited access. The monument is on private land.

compiled by gdalena Przysiężna-Pizarska, Ph.D., and Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 04-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Kaźmierczyk J., Macewicz K., Wuszkan S., Studia i materiały do osadnictwa Opolszczyzny wczesnośredniowiecznej, Opole 1977, pp. 517.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: XI-XII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Tłustoręby
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district opolski, commune Niemodlin - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area