Palace and park complex - Zabytek.pl
Tłokinia Kościelna, Kościelna 46
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. kaliski, gm. Opatówek - obszar wiejski
It consists of a classicist palace built in the years 1915-1916 and an outbuilding from the third quarter of the 19th century, both situated in a landscape park from the second half of the 19th century. The palace boasts fully-preserved architectural décor of the façade as well as window and door woodwork with neo-Renaissance features. The palace vestibule contains a fireplace and four-flight oak stairs which have survived to this day.
The first mentions of Tłokinia Kościelna date back to 1282. In the 15th century, the village was part of the Crown lands and in possession of Jan Kobyliński. In the next decades, the owners changed; the village was owned by Rafał Leszczyński, among others, and was also part of the Russów estate. The last pre-war owners of the Tłokinia Kościelna estate acquired the property during the compulsory auctioning in 1843. The Chrystowski family remained owners of the property until the end of World War II.
In the second half of the 19th century, a landscape park spanning 6.1 ha was created by enlarging the existing garden.
In the third quarter of the 19th century, an outbuilding was constructed for Władysław Chrystowski which served residential functions until the palace was built. It was expanded in the first quarter of the 20th century.
In the years 1915-1916, the construction of a palace for Ignacy Władysław Chrystowski took place.
In 1986, the facility underwent a full-scale renovation, during which parts of the ceilings and roof truss were replaced and the attic was adapted for hotel purposes.
After 2000, the complex became private property and underwent full-scale restoration. The owners of the complex attempted to recreate the past atmosphere of the place with great attention to detail by decorating the vestibule and other rooms with mementos related to the Chrystowski family. The reproductions of family photographs also show guests who visited the complex during the interwar period, including Roman Dmowski. Currently, the complex in Tłokinia Kościelna serves as a hotel and restaurant.
The palace and park complex is situated at the northern edge of Tłokinia Kościelna, to the east of the road to Rożdżały. Tłokinia Kościelna, established on the hills of a terminal moraine, neighbours the villages of Tłokinia Nowa and Tłokinia Wielka to the east. In the southern part of the village, there is a wooden church of St James the Greater from the early 18th century and a parish cemetery. The complex consists of a residential section on a nearly square-shaped floor plan and a farmyard the composition of which is largely blurred and altered. The residence occupies the north-eastern part of the complex.
The outbuilding and the palace are located in the southern part of the park. The palace is situated on the axis of the main entrance and its façade faces west. It is surrounded with a vast lawn, preceded from the front by a nearly circular driveway. The outbuilding is situated to the south-west of the palace. The outbuilding and palace are built of brick, with plastered walls, basements and multi-storey bodies. The palace body with a residential attic is covered with a tall two-tier roof. The two-storey western and southern avant-corps and single-storey annexes are covered with multi-faceted roofs. The façade is symmetrical with a central three-axis avant-corps adorned with panels and preceded by a narrower, four-column portico in the giant order, with a triangular tympanum and a framed oculus. The palace façades are plastered, with the exception of the stone parts between the windows in the plinth area, with preserved detail, and pierced with rectangular window openings.
The main body of the palace was built on a rectangular floor plan with the representative ground-floor rooms in a two-bay layout. On the axis, there is a two-storey hall with representative stairs, which is partially inserted under the central avant-corps. On the southern side of the hall, there is a former dining room; on the northern side, there is a drawing room connected with a pentagonal annex which, together with the north-eastern bay window, frames the terrace leading to the so-called ballroom, which ballroom neighbours the hallway and the side stairwell to the south.
The palace and the outbuilding are located in the landscape park which was created mid-19th century on the basis of the older garden from the 18th century. On the axis of the palace, to the west, the fence features a brick gate from circa 1916, framed with wicket gates which are topped with semi-circular arches. The plantings from the second half of the 19th century can be found mainly in the south-western section. In the northern part of the park, there is a hornbeam alley which leads to a stone cross erected to the memory of Stanisław Chrystowski, who died in 1896.
Evidence of the assiduousness in recreating the atmosphere of the place can be found in the monograph on the palace of the Chrystowski family in Tłokinia Kościelna published by the current owners.
The complex is accessible upon prior agreement with the owners thereof.
compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 14-10-2014.
- Małyszko S., Majątki wielkopolskie. Powiat kaliski, s. 237-241, Szreniawa 2000.
- Tabaka A., Pałac Chrystowskich w Tłokini Kościelenej, Tłokinia Kościelna 2013.
- Województwo kaliskie. Obiekty i walory krajoznawcze, s. 262, Warszawa 1990
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_ZE.67478, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_ZE.4445