Filial Church of St Roch - Zabytek.pl
Tarnogród, 1 Maja 53
woj. lubelskie, pow. biłgorajski, gm. Tarnogród-miasto
The church is believed to have been erected somewhere around the year 1624 by the burghers of Tarnogród as a votive church following the great epidemic of 1600; it has subsequently undergone renovation works on numerous occasions, including in years 1846-47, when the front porch is believed to have been built; apart from that, however, the original spatial layout and shape of the structure have been left intact. After 1985, the original wood shingles on the roof were replaced by sheet metal cladding.
The church is located out of town, near the road leading towards Sieniawa, in the former cemetery for the victims of the plague. The church is oriented towards the east. It is a single-nave structure, the floor plan of the nave being almost rectangular in shape. The slightly narrower, rectangular chancel with a semi-hexagonal termination is of the same height as the nave itself and is adjoined by a sacristy to the north. There is also an open porch, adjoining the front facade of the church. Built using larch logs (corner-notched log structure) positioned on a brick foundation, its walls being reinforced with vertical supports and clad with weatherboards from the outside. Inside, the church features flat ceilings adorned with decorative crown mouldings. The hip roof above the nave and the chancel has a common ridge, with a three-sided section above the chancel. A steeple with an openwork roof lantern topped by a bulbous, onion-shaped spirelet rises above the ridge. The sacristy features a three-sided roof, with a gable roof being used for the front porch. The roofs are covered with sheet metal. The king post roof truss is of the rafter-and-beam, two-collar type. The front façade follows a single-axis design and is preceded by an open timber porch topped with a triangular gable clad with weatherboards and incorporating an image of St Roch. Inside, visitors can admire the rood beam adorned by a rosette and the inscribed date “1624”, with a crucifix designed in the Rococo style visible directly above. The interior fixtures and fittings mostly date back to the 17th and 18th century, with the painted decorations originating from the early 20th century.
The monument is accessible.
compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 06-10-2014.
- Record sheet, Filial church of St Roch. Tarnogród, compiled by Górak J., 1985, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Lublin, Zamość branch; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
- Diecezja lubelska. Informator historyczny i administracyjny, compiled by Rev. Zahajkiewicz M. T., Lublin 1985, p. 320.
- Górak J., Kościoły drewniane Zamojszczyzny, Zamość 1986, pp. 15, 16, 24-25.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 3: Powiat biłgorajski, compiled by Kwiczala M., Szczepkowska K., uzup. Brykowski R., Warsaw 1960, pp. 30-31.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.3508