Palace complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. jarociński, gm. Jarocin-obszar wiejski
The construction works were supervised by Antoni Krzyżanowski, a building master from Poznań. The palace, completed in 1871, is a valuable example of a Renaissance Revival building with French influences, particularly noticeable in the clear façade divisions and the original décor of the vestibule. Following the most recent renovations, it has a truly impressive appearance. The palace is situated in a vast landscape park, which has also been restored; it accentuates the unique shape of the palace, drawing on the design of French Renaissance castles.
In the years 1839-1845, the village of Tarce was owned by Otto Juliusz von Rabenau. Then, for a short time, it belonged to counts from the Mycielski family. In 1866, the Gorzeński family from Śmiełów, located in the Żerków Commune, purchased the estate from Ludwik Schraeden. Tarce become the home of Stanisław Gorzeński (1838-1898), the son of Antonina née Bojanowska and Hieronim Gorzeński. Stanisław Ostroróg-Gorzeński had an impressive residence, modelled on French castles, built in Tarce. The building was constructed in 1871 according to a design by the architect Stanisław Hebanowski. A landscape park, merging with a nearby forest, was established around the palace to provide an appropriate setting for the magnificent building. The owner of Tarce, Stanisław Gorzeński, married Elżbieta Węsierska (1849-1916), with whom he had two sons: Zbigniew (1869-1926) and Ludwik (1875-1916). Following Stanisław’s death, the palace became the residence of his son Zbigniew, married to Aniela Biegańska. After 1926, the estate became the property of an independence activist, Zdzisław Bończa-Skarżyński, a relative of the Gorzeńskis. He remained the owner until 1939. As he was a keen hunter, there were many trophies in the palace. In the inter-war period, the village was visited by a number of artists, e.g. Wojciech Kossak (1856-1942), one of the painters of the Racławice Panorama, visited Tarce in 1926. Other occasional guests included General Edward Rydz-Śmigły, the writer Magdalena Samozwaniec, and the poet Maria Pawlikowska-Jasnorzewska. In the years 1939-1945, the palace was used as a school for German children and a training facility for members of the Hitler Youth (Hitler-Jugend). After 1945, the estate was subdivided into parcels. Between 1948 and 1955, the palace housed a Cooperative Training Centre and its interior was radically modified. From 1957, it housed an Agricultural and Economic School, which was converted into the Jadwiga Dziubińska Agricultural School Group in 1973. The school operated until 2005.
The palace underwent full-scale renovations in the years 1968-1974: a new driveway was made, a new set of steps was constructed on the outside, the vestibule was divided with a ceiling, and the arrangement of the interior stairs was altered. The tower roofs were covered with copper sheet metal. New corridors were laid out in the southern suite of rooms and the eastern section of the building was modified. In 2006, the complex in Tarce was bought by a private person. Between 2008 and 2011, full-scale renovation works were carried out and the palace was adapted to serve as a hotel and a restaurant. The original appearance of the building was restored, including the architectural details and the window and door woodwork along with the associated metal components. The original ground floor layout was restored, the interior stucco decorations were preserved and partially reconstructed, and the stairs in the vestibule were reconstructed. As for the vestibule itself, the ceiling and the new flooring installed during the previous renovations were removed. Hotel amenities were introduced on the first floor and in the loft. Staff rooms and a kitchen were arranged in the basement. All sheet metal covering was removed and the roof covering was replaced. The area surrounding the palace was tidied up and the communication layout of the park was restored; the gates and the wall were renovated. In 2013, the building was entered into the “Zabytek Zadbany” [Well-Kept Monument] competition, supervised by the General Monument Inspector.
The village of Tarce is located approx. 7 km to the north-east of Jarocin, by a road from Jarocin to Gizałki. Currently, the road divides the palace and manor farm complex into two parts. The landscape park and the palace are situated on its north side. The park is enclosed with a brick and metal wall. On the south side of the road, there are buildings of a former manor farm and part of a residential colony for farm workers. The other part of the colony is situated to the west of the palace and the park. The design of the park incorporates a watercourse at which park ponds were created. On the north-east side, the park passes into a forest. At the moment, it is difficult to establish the boundary between the park and the forest in that area. The palace faces the south. There is a driveway in front of it. To the north of the palace, the terrain descends in terraces towards a pond beyond which there is a vast meadow. On the north side of the park, there are densely growing trees. Originally, the main entrance to the palace was located on the west side and led to the meadow and then towards the palace. Currently, there is also a road to the palace running from that direction. The main access path to the palace currently runs from the road on the south-west side.
In terms of architecture, the residence in Tarcze, with its compact structure, soaring towers, and avant-corpses, as well as rich architectural details, is reminiscent of French Renaissance castles. The main body of the building has two storeys and a basement; it is topped with a hip roof. The façades are decorated with pilasters, profiled cornices, arcaded friezes, and horizontal lines made in plaster; the gables are also richly decorated. Interesting elements of the decor are the original cartouches incorporating the coats of arms of the Gorzeński family and the Węsierski family, as well as reliefs with panoply components in the window niches. The building has a rectangular floor plan, with avant-corpses on the central axes of the front and back facades; there is a porte-cochère before the front avant-corps. The front avant-corps contains an elegant vestibule spanning two storeys, with a staircase whose unique shape was designed by Stanisław Hebanowski. The avant-corps on the garden side contains a drawing room; its original decor has been preserved. There is also a vestibule, closed on both sides and divided from the other part of the room with stucco columns. The modern equipment and fittings (washing facilities and office rooms) are unnoticeable at first glance. Despite the new function of the building, its interior has nearly recovered its original atmosphere. The area around the palace has again become neat and orderly: the park, along with its water system, transport network, and elegant fencing, has been renovated.
The historic monument can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement with the owner. More information is available on the website: www.palac-tarce.pl
compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 10-11-2015.
- Skuratowicz J., Dwory i pałace w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim, Międzychód 1992 r.
- Durczykiewicz L., Dwory polskie w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim, Czempiń 1912 r.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.161472, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.61724