Cemetery Church of St Margaret, Szubin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Cemetery Church of St Margaret

Szubin

photo

An example of a wooden, rural church from the 18th century having the status of a regional landmark.

History

The church was originally located beyond the limits of the town of Szubin, in a village known as Szubska Wieś, which has since been incorporated into the town proper. It was erected in the 17th century, with the funds for its construction provided by the local burghers as well as the by the peasants from Szubska Wieś; the building was originally intended to serve as a public chapel forming part of the parish of St Martin in Szubin. According to local traditions, the chapel was erected as a sign of gratitude for God’s mercy which allowed the local residents to survive the times of the plaque. In the mid-18th century, however, the chapel was found to be in a very poor technical condition, leading to the reconstruction thereof for funds provided by the erstwhile owner of both Szubin and Szubska Wieś, Weronika Mycielska née Konarzewska, the wife of the castellan of Poznań. The reconstruction led to the original chapel being remodelled and extended. It was still surrounded by the parish cemetery, as must have been the case from the very beginning. The church was renovated on a number of occasions, including in years 1945-1948 and in 1959.

Description

The church, oriented towards the east, is a wooden log structure positioned on a brick foundation, its tower featuring a post-and-beam structure instead; all the walls of the building are covered with weatherboards. The elongated chancel features a semi-hexagonal end section. The nave, designed on a rectangular plan, is wider than the chancel. Inside, there are two massive wooden posts in its western section, supporting the structure of the tower above, with the tower forming an integral part of the main body of the church. The interior features a flat ceiling which is a later addition to its structure. The windows are topped with segmental arches, with the only oculus being present in the end section of the chancel. The organ gallery is supported by a pair of decorative pillars. The western and southern entrances into the nave are topped with segmental arches. The roof is clad with roof tiles; it features a single ridge above both the nave and the chancel and ends with a three-sided eastern section. The part of the roof extending above the chancel features pronounced eaves, with a profiled cornice running directly underneath. The tower rising above the western gable was designed on a rectangular plan, its walls covered with weatherboards. Above the profiled crowning cornice rises a bulbous cupola topped with an octagonal lantern and clad with sheet metal. Inside, the church features a Rococo altarpiece from the second half of the 18th century, its middle section incorporating a Baroque painting of St Margaret from the second half of the 17th century, most likely forming part of the fixtures and fittings of the earlier chapel which had once stood here. A rather peculiar item found inside the church is a vernacular Baroque stool, its sculpted backrest taking the form of a simplified, double-headed eagle.

The church is open during funeral services.

compiled by Lech Łbik, Historical Monument and National Heritage Documentation and Popularisation Department of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Cultural Centre in Bydgoszcz, 02-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Janiszewska-Mincer B., Mincer F., W okresie staropolskim (XIV w.-1773 r.), [in:] Dzieje Szubina, Biskup M. (ed.), Warsaw - Poznań 1974, p. 67.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. XI: Dawne województwo bydgoskie, issue 14: Szubin i okolice, prepared by Lewicka M. and Szymanowska B., Warsaw 1977, pp. 43-44.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Nakielska , Szubin
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district nakielski, commune Szubin - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area