Parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Jacob, Szadek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Jacob

Szadek

photo

One of the most valuable and best preserved Gothic buildings in the region of Sieradz. It features sumptuous interior fittings. The church was built in years 1333-35, extended around mid-15-th century, and after numerous fires, it was converted, among others, in 1551, 1738, and also in the 19th century (porches from the west and south, and from the treasury). It is the second church in this place, the first one was burned down during the invasion of the Teutonic Order in 1331.

History

The church is located in the centre of the town, to the north-west from the market square. It is surrounded by a cemetery, where a Gothic bell tower is located, probably built in the same period as the church itself.

Description

The monument is oriented, built on a nearly rectangular floor plan, narrowing towards the west. A four-bay body features two-bay chancel with a polygonal end section. It is made of brick (not plastered from the outside), and has the form of a three-nave hall. Roofs are mostly of gable type, and the roof truss is made of wood. The walls are buttressed. From the north-east, the chancel is adjoined by a sacristy and a small treasury, and between the second and the third nave, there is a chapel. From the south and west, the church is adjoined by 19th-century porches. The front façade and the eastern part of the southern nave are decorated with sections of dentil frieze and rhombuses made of nearly vitrified bricks. The front façade is covered by a Gothic seven-axis gable with blind windows and pinnacles. A similar roof solution was applied in the case of the rood wall and the sacristy. The main entrance to the church is through a stepped portal. In side façades of the body, there are plaster surrounds in the middle of the wall height and in the top section. In all façades, there are narrow pointed-arch windows.

In the church's interior, pointed-arch portals and vaults from 1551 - of stellar and lierne type - are worth particular attention. On the walls, fragments of 15-century wall painting is preserved (southern wall and piers). The cast door to the sacristy also date from the 15th century. The Mannerist altars of high artistic value were created in the early 17th century (Gdańsk type). Among the church's fittings, the Gothic baptismal font and tombstones and epitaphs from the 16th and 17th century are worth particular attention.

The building is accessible throughout the year - visiting the interior is possible upon arrangement with the parish priest.

compiled by Anna Michalska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Łódź, 13-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Marszal T., Szadek, Monografia miasta, Szadek 1995.
  • Mroczko T., Arszyński M., Architektura gotycka w Polsce, Warszawa 1995.
  • Ruszkowski A., Sieradz i okolice, Sieradz 2000

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ogrodowa 2, Szadek
  • Location: Voivodeship łódzkie, district zduńskowolski, commune Szadek - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area