Church of St Nicholas, Sząbruk
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Nicholas

Sząbruk

photo

The church in Sząbruk in its original form represent a typical example of a Gothic aiseless church located in the former territory of the State of the Teutonic Order for rural areas. After its reconstruction of the years 1911-1913 it is part of the group of three Gothic churches (apart from Jonkowo and Wrzesiny), which were extended at the beginning of the 20th century according to the designs of an architect Fritz Heitmann from Królewiec

History

A village of Sząbruk was located twice: in 1363 and in 1383. Still before the village location its parish-priest was mentioned (1355). It is not known whether at that time the church was erected, because the village had financial problems. Maybe before the erection of the brick church, a wooden structure was built. The current church was built ca. 1450-1500. The church was extended in 1608 and in 1687. In 1771 a tower was added. The construction of porch also fall in the 18th century. In the years 1911-1913 the architect Fritz Heitmann from Królewiec added a three-nave hall with simply closed presbytery and two sacristies to the Gothic church. In 1913 the church was consecrated again.

The form of solution of the eastern gable is reminiscent of the nearby church in Nowe Kawkowo

Description

The church in Sząbruk is located in the centre of the village. It was erected on a rectangular floor plan, oriented, made of field stone and brick, with a tower topped with a lantern added from the West. There is a saddle roof over the nave body, covered with ceramic tiles, there is a tented roof over the tower, also covered with ceramic tiles, tower lantern is covered with sheet metal. Eastern facade is crowned with a pinnacle gable. The windows are high, closed with a three-centered arch, the tower has no partitions and has small window openings in its upper part. The church facade is adjoined from the North by a porch. During its reconstruction in the years 1911-1913 a three-nave, brick, neo-Gothic hall was added to the Gothic body from the South, changing the disposition of the interior. Previously Gothic nave body began to function as a transept, and the new part of the church became a nave body. Most valuable interior fittings include: late Medieval wall paintings with christological themese (Judgement Day and passion scenes).

The historical building is open to visitors. It may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 8.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Bosko J., Wojtkowski J. M., Dziedzictwo historyczno-artystyczne archidiecezji warmińskiej. Zabytki ruchome, Olsztyn 2011, s. 208-209.
  • Chrzanowski T., Przewodnik po zabytkowych kościołach południowej Warmii, Olsztyn 1973, s. 98-100.
  • Dehio G., Gall E., Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmaeler. Deutschordensland, Muenchen - Berlin, 1952, s. 255.
  • Głowacz A., Fritz Heitmann, architekt warmińskich kościołów, „Warmińsko-Mazurski Biuletyn Konserwatorski”, nr 5, 2003, s. 7-30.
  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Preussenland, Petersberg 2007, s. 712-713.
  • Loyal D., Sakrale Backsteigotik im Ermland. Eine bautopographische Untersuhung, Bonn 1995, s. 343.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1450-1500
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sząbruk
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district olsztyński, commune Gietrzwałd
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area