Homestead No. 18 (house and barn), Swołowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Homestead No. 18 (house and barn)

Swołowo

photo

It is an example of a large peasant homestead, typical for the area of the seaside strip near Słupsk. The homestead features an arrangement of buildings (partly preserved) characteristic for the region, as well as a traditional half-timbered structure. Homestead No. 8 is one of between ten and twenty similar homesteads in Swołowo. They all create a unique landscape of a large radial village with a preserved spatial layout and a uniform half-timbered architectural form of buildings. Due to this form, the region is called “the checked land”.

History

Swołowo was mentioned in documents from 1240. Initially, the village was owned by the Order of Saint John, and then by the Pomeranian nobility: the von Below family in the 14th century, the Glasenapp family the 15th century, and the von Schwane family in the 17th century. In the 17th century, it became royal property. At that time, Swołowo was a large rent village of a radial spatial layout, with a church and 17 large agricultural farms, occupying an area of approx. 50 ha each. Homestead No. 18 belonged to a farm of an area of 51.9 ha. In the mid- 19th century, it was owned by Gregor Wutzmer, in 1862 by Peter Albrecht, and in 1910 by Martin August Albrecht. The homestead was comprised of nine buildings: a house, a gatehouse, a barn, a cowshed, a stable, a utility building with a basement, a bakery, a shed for wood, and a house for workers. Livestock buildings and the gatehouse were destroyed by a fire, and therefore only the residential building, the barn, the utility building with a basement and the shed for wood have survived until the present day. The residential building was erected in 1856. The barn was build around that time, in the mid- 19th century.

Description

Homestead No. 18 is located in the south-western part of the village on the southern side of the radial village square, together with other similar homesteads. It was built on a rectangular plan. Initially, its buildings formed a closed quadrilateral, with a rectangular yard in the middle. Currently, it is an open homestead. The residential building is located deep within the plot, on the southern side of the homestead. The barn is located on the eastern side of the residential building. On the northern side, at the entrance to the yard, there is a modern gate with a small utility building on its side. The western side of the homestead is not currently built up. The barn adjoins a shed for wood. Deep within the plot, to the south from the residential building, there is a utility building with a basement.

Both buildings are half-timbered structures with infills covered with plaster. The residential building, erected on a rectangular floor plan, has a wide front façade. It has two storeys and is covered with a tall clipped-gable roof. The front façade has six axes, with the main entrance situated slightly asymmetrically. Door and window openings are rectangular, with decorative wooden joinery. The front door has two wings, with Art Nouveau decoration, and doorways topped with a segmental pediment. On the lintel beam, there is the following inscription: B.H.P.A. - B.M.C.A. DEN 9 MAI 1856 [owner P.A. - builder C.A. 9 May 1856]. The window joinery is variegated; it is different on the first and on the second storey. On the ground floor, the windows have four wings, with the upper wings consisting of three sections. On the second storey, windows have two wings, consisting of six sections. All windows are framed with profiled surrounds. Windows in the second storey feature triangular pediments.

The barn was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with a double barn-floor, and is covered with a tall gable roof.

The checkerboard arrangement of posts and beams contrasted with whitewashed infills is highlighted in façades of both buildings.

The site is inaccessible to visitors. Private property.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 22-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Świetlicka A., Wisławska E., Słownik historyczny miast i wsi województwa słupskiego, Słupsk 1998, s. 222
  • Materiały promocyjne oraz strona internetowa Muzeum Kultury Ludowej Pomorza w Swołowie www.swolowo.pl

General information

  • Type: cottage
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Swołowo 18
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district słupski, commune Słupsk - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area