Parish Church of St Michael Archangel - Zabytek.pl
Świebodzin, Szpitalna 2
woj. lubuskie, pow. świebodziński, gm. Świebodzin-miasto
The first reference to the church comes from 1311. At that time, it was dedicated to St Peter and Paul. It is assumed that earlier, until the 2nd half of the 13th century, a wooden church of St Peter was operating in Świebodzin. Then, a brick church was built on which we know nothing certain. From the second half of the the 15th century the church was dedicated to St Michael. In the second half of or in the late 15th century, the current church was erected. It was a three-nave hall building with a chancel terminating in a pentagon, with ambulatory, tower from the west, covered with a lierne vault. After the great fire of the town in 1541, the church was badly damaged. As a result of the reconstruction which was conducted by Georgio Jakub Curtio and Tomasz Heintzio, finalised in 1555, the church was extended by the fourth nave from the north, and a row of chapels with a gallery from the south. In 1570, the church was taken over by Lutherans and used by them intermittently until 1651. In the 16th and the 17th century, the church underwent numerous renovations. In the first half of the 19th century, the tower was dismantled due to the risk of collapse. In the years 1850-1858, full-scale renovation works were carried out. At that time, the western façade was re-designed in neo-Gothic style, an arcaded porch was added, and a large blind tracery flanked with slender turrets was installed in the gable. Alexis Langer, an architect from Wrocław, was the author of the design. Later renovations did not changed the form and shape of the building.
The church is located in the north-eastern corner of the old town, near the town walls. The church yards is fenced from the east and the south with a stone and brick wall, and in the northern section it is overgrown with old trees. It is oriented. The church is an example of the late Gothic style. It a brick, hall, three-nave building with a chancel terminating in a pentagon with ambulatory, with the fourth nave and a sacristy from the north and a row of chapels with galleries from the south. Its compact body is covered with a gable roof made of ceramic tiles. The façades are made of brick, buttressed, pierced with pointed-arch windows and decorated with an openwork frieze with a quatrefoil ornament under the eaves. The neo-Gothic front façade is topped with stepped gables with blind tracery on the axis, framed on the sides by spires. The interior is covered with a lierne vault in the naves and in the chancel. Over the chapel, there are stellar and diamond vaults. In the church, there are surviving valuable fittings, among other things a late-Gothic main altarpiece from the workshop of the master from Gościeszowice, a late-Gothic sculpted Crucifixion group, Rococo sculptures of saints, side altars, ambo, pipe organ.
The site is open to the public. It can be visited by prior telephone arrangement.
compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 02-09-2015.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, Tom I, Zielona Góra 2011, s. 126-127.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 383-384.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.35726