Free-standing back building, currently serving as the Maria Konopnicka Branch of the District Museum, Suwałki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Free-standing back building, currently serving as the Maria Konopnicka Branch of the District Museum

Suwałki

photo

Michał Stanisław Jaroszewicz and his wife Maria Jaroszewicz née Stażyc were one of the most dedicated social activists and philanthropists in Suwałki towards the end of the 19th century and in the early 20th century. Today, the building which they erected retains a significant historical and artistic value, making it a landmark of regional importance. A description of the building and its garden is included in one of the short stories by the renowned writer Maria Konopnicka.

History

During the early 19th century, two parcels of land positioned alongside Kościuszki street and reaching all the way toward the Czarna Hańcza river remained in the hands of W. Kulwiński and the marriage of W. and M. Kolankiewicz, all of whom were members of the local bourgeoisie. It was then acquired by Jan Zapiórkowski, a notary working for the Civil Tribunal of the Augustowskie Province in Suwałki. The tenement house at 31 Kościuszki street was erected in two stages, in years 1826-27 and 1835-36. Later on, the tenement house remained under the control of the Imperial Russian government administration. After that, the ownership of the tenement house passed on - by way of inheritance followed by a sale transaction - to Michał Jaroszewicz. In the years 1911-12, Jaroszewicz erected a new house (sometimes referred to as a “palace”) in the northern part of the parcel. In order to achieve that goal, he took out a loan which was subsequently written off in 1935. In 1920, Maria Jaroszewicz sold the house to the Linkiewicz family, who in turn sold it to Aleksander Lutyński and his wife Bronisława that same year. The house remained in their hands until 1978. A full-scale renovation was carried out in the years 1997-2002.

Description

The building is located in the back section of the parcel of land at 31 Kościuszki street, stretching all the way towards the Czarna Hańcza river, which forms the western boundary thereof. It is a free-standing structure surrounded by a garden.

The Neoclassical building is a single-storey brick structure designed on a rectangular floor plan, its walls covered with plaster. The building is covered with a gable roof. Both of its shorter façades (the eastern and the western one) feature a pair of single-axial avant-corps, framed with lesenes and topped with a triangular pediment. The building also features a dentilled crowning cornice. The main entrance is positioned on the western side of the structure. The interior follows a three-bay layout, with the staircase entrance positioned on the northern side of the building.

The historical monument is open to visitors.

compiled by Grażyna Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 23-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Matusiewicz A., Dom Marii Konopnickiej, “Jatwieź”, no. 24, 2003, pp. 14-25.
  • Suwałki miasto nad Czarną Hańczą, J. Kopciał (ed.), Suwałki 2005, p. 841, fig. p. 840.

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: 1911-1912
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościuszki 31 a, Suwałki
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district Suwałki, commune Suwałki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area