Funkcja czasowo wyłączona. Zapraszamy wkrótce.

Tenement house, Suwałki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.


The tenement house at 4 Kościuszki street is an excellent example of a townhouse that has been meticulously restored and was a contender in the 2012 “Well-Preserved Monument” competition organised by the General Monument Inspector. The tenement house forms part of the Kościuszko street frontage, forming a well-preserved urban complex from the times of the Kingdom of Poland.


The tenement house at 4 Kościuszki street in Suwałki was erected in the early 20th century, most likely in the years 1905-1913. The tenement house was the property of the Gonecki family, who had owned the parcel of former Camaldolese land on which it would be later erected from the second half of the 19th century, having been granted ownership as a form of gratification for their involvement in thwarting the uprising of 1863. In 1920, the estate was seized by the State Forest Administration in Suwałki. The building first served as a boarding house and then as an office building, with a few apartments designed to be used for official purposes. In 2006, the tenement house was acquired by its present owners and converted into a hotel following a period of comprehensive restoration. The renovation and adaptation works were performed in the years 2009 - 2012. The outline of the building was preserved, with only a few minor changes being made. The front façade was meticulously restored, with some of the missing sections of its décor being recreated so that the appearance of the building is now almost the same as when it was originally constructed.


The tenement house forms part of the eastern frontage of the Kościuszki street, being the first building on the street.

The tenement house does not possess any features indicative of a particular style, even though some of its features are clear nods towards the Classicist style.

The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with its back section being extended in the modern era. The cuboid, two-storey structure features a habitable attic and is covered with a gable roof which had originally featured a number of wall dormers. The building is made of brick, its walls covered with plaster. A back building containing a staircase, positioned in the back yard, had originally adjoined its north-eastern corner. The second staircase was originally positioned on the outermost, northern axis of the front façade. The former gateway leading into the yard behind the house has subsequently bee bricked up. The front façade follows a seven-axial, asymmetrical layout; it is partitioned with rusticated lesenes and topped with a pronounced, profiled crowning cornice, with the remaining storeys being accentuated with a profiled string course. The former gateway has been adapted to serve as the main entrance. The windows are topped with segmental arches and adorned with arched window headers with keystones (first floor) or with keystones without headers (ground floor). A wall dormer projects from the surface of the roof on the fourth and fifth axis, topped with a rectangular, simple roof parapet crowned with a profiled cornice. A pair of openwork, cast iron balconies project from the walls of the wall-dormer at the first-floor level and at the garret level. The interior layout is irregular, having been adapted to serve as a hotel in the modern times.

The historic monument can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Grażyna Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 23-12-2014.



General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: pocz. XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kościuszki 4, Suwałki
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district Suwałki, commune Suwałki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area