The parish church of St Peter and Paul, Sułów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The parish church of St Peter and Paul

Sułów

photo

History

The first local church is known to have existed back in the 14th century; the wooden churches that had stood here throughout the ages have been destroyed or demolished on numerous occasions until the existing building was erected in years 1731-34 at the initiative of the owner of the surrounding lands, Joseph von Burghaus, with the local parishioners also contributing funds for its construction. In 1820, the church was renovated and its interior fixtures and fittings were replaced. In 1856, the original wood shingle roof cladding was replaced with roof tiles.

Description

The wattle-and-daub church, designed in the Baroque style, stands on foundations made of stone. The building was designed on a Latin cross floor plan. The end sections of both the chancel and the transept arms - containing the sacristy and the porch respectively - are semi-hexagonal in shape, with additional first-floor galleries positioned directly above the sacristy and the porch. The tower, built on a square floor plan and featuring a porch in its ground floor section, adjoins the church to the west. The interior features a flat ceiling. The interior fittings are mostly Late Baroque items, with the main, architectural altarpiece bearing the date “1820”. The Mannerist gallery parapets with the portrayals of Biblical women (St Mary, St Elisabeth, Esther, Judith and the Samaritan Woman) predate the current church, having been executed somewhere around the year 1595 and reclaimed during the demolition of the previous building.

In the burial ground near the church there is a free-standing wooden bell tower - a post-and-beam structure erected in 1837.

Limited access to the historic building.

compiled by Grzegorz Grajewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, -3-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Brzezicki S., Nielsen Ch., Grajewski G., Popp D. (ed.), Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Wrocław 2006, pp. 823-824.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, vol. 4: Województwo wrocławskie, issue 3: Milicz, Żmigród, Twardogóra i okolice, Warszaw 1997, pp. 76-78.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warsaw 2005, pp. 333-334.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sułów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district milicki, commune Milicz - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area