Evangelical church, currently the ancillary Roman Catholic filial church of Our Lady of Częstochowa, Sułów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church, currently the ancillary Roman Catholic filial church of Our Lady of Częstochowa

Sułów

photo

The church in Sułów, along with its counterpart in Pawłów Trzebnicki, is one of the few surviving wattle-and-daub, octagonal Evangelical churches erected in Silesia during the second half of the 18th century.

History

The church was erected in years 1765-66 at the initiative of Sylvius von Burghaus and his wife Sophia von Burghaus née von Kalckreuth, who also provided the necessary funds. It was consecrated in 1767, while the sacristy was added much later, in 1846. In 1930 and 1934 the lower section of the walls has been partially redone, with the original structure being replaced with sturdy masonry; additional reinforcements have also been added to the supporting timber frame. Later on, the church underwent a comprehensive restoration in years 1965-66.

Description

The church, designed in the Baroque style, is a timber-framed building; the lower sections of its walls as well as the entire sacristy, however, are made of brick. All walls of the church are covered with plaster. The aisleless, central plan church was designed on an elongated octagonal floor plan, with entrances from the west, north and south; it is covered with a multi-pitched mansard roof topped with a bulbous steeple with a roof lantern and cupola on top. The nave is covered by a false cupola ceiling made of wooden boards and incorporating faux coffering; the central dome is surrounded by two-storey galleries supported by wooden posts. The main altarpiece was created somewhere around the year 1765 and originally featured an integrated pulpit.

In the burial ground near the church there is a free-standing wooden bell tower - a post-and-beam structure erected in 1821, with a brick ground floor section added at the time when the bell tower was being converted into a cemetery chapel in 1939.

Limited access to the historic building.

compiled by Grzegorz Grajewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 03-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, vol. 4: Województwo wrocławskie, issue 3: Milicz, Żmigród, Twardogóra i okolice, Warszaw 1997, pp. 78-79.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska, Warsaw 2005, p. 334.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Wrocław 2006, p. 824.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sułów
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district milicki, commune Milicz - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area