Parish church complex of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Sulisławice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church complex of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Sulisławice

photo

The sacred complex is made up of two churches: "old" and "new" and the belfry. It boasts an immense historic value for the region’s art: preserved relics of the Romanesque architecture, the neo-Gothic architecture of the new church, magnificent exposure in the landscape. Since the mid-17th century, it has been a destination for pilgrims visiting the miraculous image of Our Lady of Sulisławice. The former sacristy of the "old" church is now a Memorial Chamber of the Jędrusie Guerilla Regiment of WW2.

History

The older church was erected in the 2nd quarter of the 13th century. A 1326 source mentions a rector of Sulisławice named Lambin. Długosz reports that in the 15th century the church was a wooden structure (?) owned by a knight. Ca. 1600, thanks to the effort of the Rev. Mateusz Sadowski, the church was extended east by a new presbytery; at the same time, the walls on the west side were raised. In the 2nd quarter of the 18th century, a sacristy was added and in 1838 a stand-alone belfry was erected. In 1888 the parish was transferred to a new church built between 1871 and 1888 according to the 1865 design of Wojciech Bobiński of 1865 and completed by the architect Bronisław Muklanowicz. In the years 1955-1957 and 2011-2014, renovation and conservations works were undertaken. The "new" church were subjected to comprehensive repairs and restoration between 2008 and 2010.

Description

The complex sits in the centre of the village, on a hill overlooking the area. The parish cemetery is located on an inclination to the north-east. The complex is surrounded by a stone wall. In the north part, the two churches stand side by side. By the west wall, there is the belfry (1838) and a wooden canopy (1937); to the south-east, a newer rectory (early 20th century) and outbuildings. The "old" church is oriented and in the west part has preserved the Romanesque nave walls made of sandstone blocks. Some blocks bear masonry signs and engravings. The south wall has a partially reconstructed portal with a semicircular archivolt; the west wall has a Romanesque window. Inside, the stipes of the original altar is visible. The walls of the modern east part, the upper sections of the west part and the sacristy are made of quarry stone and plastered. The western gable was built of brick between 1955 and 1957. The church has single-nave structure with a rectangular presbytery and sacristy on the north side. The ceiling is wooden and the portal features doors with the late Gothic lock and hardware. Also two Rococo altars have been preserved, including two with illusionistic painting on the walls, the pulpit from the same period, Baroque tombs and paintings reflecting on some sacred themes. The murals were made by the painter Jan Bukowski in 1934. The presbytery of the "new" church faces north. Built in the neo-Gothic style, the cruciform church has three-aisle and three-bay nave body, an integrated transept and a short, three-sided presbytery with two sacristies to the sides. The body is basilica-like, preceded by the two high towers topped with soaring roofs over the entry porch.  The walls are built of sandstone bossages, and the interior was covered with cross vaults resting on flanges. The façades are not plastered, divided by buttresses connected over the aisles to the pillars of the upper nave by means of side relief arches. The façade is triaxial and two-storied, topped with a triangular gable, flanked by the tower walls. In the middle of the ground level, there is a decorative portal house with the main entrance to the church and, in the upper floor, there is an ogival blind window with a rosette. In the lowest parts of the towers, there are side portals. The triangular gable is separated by a belt of arcade frieze. Similarly designed is the decoration of the upper walls of the transept and the façades of the presbytery with round windows at the top. In the ground level of the aisles and in the upper level of the nave there are pointed-arch windows. The church's interior is divided into aisles by two rows of quadrilateral pillars connected with pointed-arch arcades. The presbytery walls are three-storied, with a gallery of blind arcades in the middle, separating the lower windows from the eyes placed under the vault. The choir is placed over the west porch and supported by an arched arcade. The interior features a uniform neo-Gothic furnishings and Art Nouveau stained-glass windows (1912), designed by Karol Frycz and made by Żeleński Company from Kraków, and murals by Julian Makarewicz. The most valuable painting kept in the shrine of the miraculous image of Misericordia Domini of the 1st half of the 15th century.

The building is open to visitors; a site of worship.

Compiled by Leszek Polanowski, 16.12.2014.

Bibliography

  • Karty ewidencyjne, Zespół kościoła parafialnego, Kościół parafialny, Kościół filialny, Poddach, oprac. Mras P., 1986 r., Archiwum Delegatury w Sandomierzu Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. III: Województwo kieleckie, z. 11: Powiat sandomierski, opr. Łoziński J. Z. i Przypkowski T., Warszawa 1962, s. 112-113.
  • Świechowski Z., Architektura romańska w Polsce, Warszawa 2000, 2001.
  • Wiśniewski J., Dekanat sandomierski, Radom 1915.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2. ćw. XIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sulisławice 19
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district sandomierski, commune Łoniów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area