Palace - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. brzeski, gm. Grodków-obszar wiejski
It was inspired by the neo-Gothic palace of his parents in Kopice, re-designed in the mid-19th century.
Still in the end of the 18th century, the estate in Sulisław formed part of the landed estates of the bishop principality in Nysa. From the first half of the 19th century until 1880, the estate belonged to Hugo Grosser. In 1888, it was purchased by Hans Karol count von Schaffgotsch At the initiative of count Hans Karol and probably on the basis of a design or guidelines of Karl Luedecke, a picturesque neo-Gothic palace was built.
In the early 20th century, the estate was leased (1909) and then sold (1917) to count Johannes von Francken-Sierstorpff. It remained his property until 1945. During the 1970s, the building was renovated with an aim of adapting it for a health resort. At present, the entire palace and the whole manor farm complex are used as a hotel complex.
The palace in Sulisław is located in the south-eastern part of the village, amidst a park. It is circumscribed by a fence with a brick gatehouse (from the south), with a pointed-arch drive-way flanked by turrets. To the west of it, there are manor farm buildings (currently a hotel complex). Along the western and partially also northern façade, there is a cobbled porte-cochère.
The palace (made of brick) was erected on a floor plan of an elongated rectangle with numerous avant-corps, towers, turrets, and annexes. The original body of the palace had two storeys; the third storey was added in the recent years. Its dominant feature is formed by a five-storey tower located in the eastern corner of the southern façade. The building is covered with a two-sloped roof, with numerous stepped gables and crenellations topped with finials.
The façades of the palace are partitioned with avant-corps and gables featuring neo-Gothic forms in decorations. They are articulated with window openings of various shapes and sizes; at the level of the ground and the first storey, window openings are rectangular, with stepped window headers. The second storey features smaller, pointed-arch windows. The western (front) façade is thirteen-axial, with the main entrance located in the southern part, in a porch preceded by stairs and embraced with two avant-corps topped with gables. In the northern part of the façade, there is a three-storey tower (round up to the height of the first storey, and hexagonal in the second storey section) and a terrace with a balustrade topped with crenelations. In the eastern (park-side) façade, there is a wooden veranda with fretwork detail featuring neo-Gothic forms. The northern façade is three-axial, the southern façade - four-axial with a quadrangular tower in the eastern corner. The tower is topped with crenelations.
Inside the palace, there are some surviving fittings, including ceramic fireplace surrounds, and fragments of floors (other fittings have been reconstructed). The interiors are adapted for the purposes of hotel activities.
The building is accessible to visitors.
compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 06-12-2015.
- Gaworski M., Atrakcje Euroregionu Pradziad. Zamki i Pałace, Prudnik 2009, s. 38-39.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Pałac w Sulisławiu, oprac. Sawiński J., 1997, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Zespół pałacowy w Sulisławiu, oprac. Sawiński J., 1997, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.16816, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.16402