Roman Catholic parish church of St Barbara, Sukowy
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Roman Catholic parish church of St Barbara

Sukowy

photo

The church is an interesting example of wooden ecclesiastical architecture.

History

It was originally erected in 1753.

Description

The church is located in the northern part of the village. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the church features a chancel with a semi-hexagonal end section as well as a rectangular sacristy and porch. It is a wooden structure positioned on a brick wall base which in turn stands on stone foundations. The building is a corner-notched log structure, its walls clad with vertically positioned weatherboards on the outside; inside, the walls are likewise covered with wooden boards, painted in a single colour and featuring a restrained use of painted decorations. The entire structure is covered with a gable roof, with a hexagonal steeple rising above the eastern section of the roof ridge. The western façade of the church is adjoined by a vestibule with main entrance, preceded by a short, integrated open porch supported by two pairs of quadrangular posts. The vestibule and the porch form a single structure, likewise covered with a gable roof. The window openings are fitted with stained glass windows, topped with round arches and framed with plain surrounds made of wooden boards. Inside, the walls are adorned with subtle painted decorations in the form of stylised floral and grapevine motifs. The nave is a single-storey structure with a rather small organ gallery in its western section. The nave features a beamed ceiling clad with wooden boards. The wooden roof truss is of a rafter, purlin and collar type.

The building remains the property of the parish. The monument can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Kamila Witkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 25-11-2014.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1753 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sukowy
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district inowrocławski, commune Kruszwica - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area