Granary within the manor's complex, Strzybnik
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Granary within the manor's complex

Strzybnik

photo

Despite the partial transformations which took place during the 19th century, the building remains a valuable regional landmark and an excellent example of a wooden granary with subtle, austere decorations, its overall form placing it somewhere between the typical wooden and brick architecture. In addition, the granary also forms an important part of the surrounding manor farm complex, serving as the western boundary of the granary yard.

History

The manorial granary in the village of Strzybniki was originally erected in 1816, forming a fragment of the manor farm accompanying the nearby palace and park complex. The very first mentions of this village date back to the 13th century, with the existing historical sources confirming that from 1319 onwards, the area remained in the hands of the convent of the Dominican nuns in Racibórz. From the early 16th century onwards, the manor changed ownership on numerous occasions, its successive owners including the Reiswitz, Adlersfeld and Kloch families. The complex saw its heyday under the ownership of the Eichstedt and Bischoffshausen families, who erected the Late Classicist palace in the first half of the 19th century; the palace was later redesigned and refurbished in 1919. A relatively small landscape park surrounded the palace. Initially conceived as a wooden building, the manorial granary was converted into a structure partially made of brick in the 19th century, its walls now covered with plaster. The most recent comprehensive renovation works took place in 1956, while during the 21st century, certain actions were performed in order to prevent further damage to the building (roof cladding replacement).

Description

The granary forms part of the palace and park complex located on Parkowa street in the village of Strzybniki, with the building itself forming an important part of the farmyard by serving as its western boundary. The building was initially conceived as a wooden structure with brick additions being made at a later date. The brick walls feature a plaster finish. The four-storey building was erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan and was a mixture of a wooden log and post-and-plank structure, its compact silhouette covered with a mansard roof with jerkin heads. The building was erected on brick foundations, with small ventilation apertures positioned right above the said foundations, between the transversely mounted wooden beams. The front and rear façades follow an eight-axial layout, with the main entrance positioned on the fifth axis of the front façade and accentuated by a semi-circular arch made up of diagonal braces. The masonry southern section of the granary features decorative panelling at the second-floor level, while the northern section retains its original, wooden structure. The side façades follow a similar design, with a single-axial layout. Their surface is partially clad with sheet metal at the very top. The interior features a simplified layout and is divided into three bays.

The building forms part of the granary yard and can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Agata Mucha, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Katowice, 28-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet of monuments of architecture, Spichlerz (Granary), prepared by E. Podbiał, R. Rajnich-Walawender, H. Wiąk-Marzec, Katowice 1994, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Katowice
  • Dumnicki J., Spichrze Polskie, Warsaw 1987
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. VII woj. opolskie, edited and compiled by T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, issue 13 powiat raciborski, Warsaw 1967, pp. 78-79

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Parkowa , Strzybnik
  • Location: Voivodeship śląskie, district raciborski, commune Rudnik
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area