Church of Our Lady of the Rosary - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. strzelecko-drezdenecki, gm. Strzelce Krajeńskie-miasto
In the late 13th century, in the northern part of the Old Town a brick church was erected on a stone foundation. The original parish church, which was probably not buttressed, was a three-nave building with a chancel section slightly projecting ahead of the naves. Its interior was covered by a wooden ceiling. The tower had a square outline and was built of granite blocks on the ground floor level, while in the upper sections - of brick. The three-nave church featured a chancel section which slightly projected ahead of the side naves on the east. In the main nave, there were windows with trefoil top sections. In 1433, the church was burned down during the Hussite invasion. Its reconstruction was commenced in the second half of the 15th century. During the construction of stellar vaults, original windows were covered, and in side naves, new high windows were pierced. In the years 1855-1860, the church was subjected to a renovation during which its semi-circular windows were transformed into pointed-arch ones, side porches were converted, and elements of historical fittings were removed. The church was equipped with new galleries, pipe organ, and main altarpiece. In 1945, the church was destroyed by fire; the vaults of the main nave collapsed. It was reconstructed in the years 1971-1973.
The filial church of Our Lady of the Rosary is a brick three-nave building with a rectangular chancel, a massive tower from the west, and a porch from the south. The main body of the church is covered with a gable roof and the tower is topped with a tented roof. The tower is adorned with pointed-arch blind windows and profiled openings. In its western façade, there is a surviving pointed-arch portal from the times of construction. In the façades of the nave, there are high pointed-arch windows and smaller paired blind windows, and above them, another row of windows interlaced with pointed-arch blind windows. The eastern gable of the nave is embellished by blind windows and pinnacles. The surviving historic fittings of the church include two Baroque sculptures which were included in the collection of the local museum before World War II (currently in the Lubusz Museum in Gorzów).
The building is accessible all year round.
compiled by Krzysztof Garbacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 01-10-2015.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 3: Powiaty: gorzowski - słubicki - sulęciński - międzyrzecki - strzelecko-drezdenecki, Zielona Góra 2013, s. 277, fot. 132-133.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 357.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.29973