Poznaj lokalne zabytki

Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

Mill Gate - Zabytek.pl

Strzelce Krajeńskie

woj. lubuskie, pow. strzelecko-drezdenecki, gm. Strzelce Krajeńskie-miasto

The Mill Gate is a valuable example of medieval defensive town’s architecture.


The Mill Gate (Eastern Gate) was built in a ring of town fortifications, probably on the site formerly occupied by a stone gate, at the beginning of the 14th century. It was located at the exist towards the east, near a causeway leading between two lakes. The foregate and neck added to the east side were demolished in 1736. Between 1915 and 1917 alterations were made to the gate according to a design by Hugo Prejawa from Strzelce Krajeńskie, royal building supervisor. The alterations involved adding a modernist building with a staircase to the north side and adapting the gate rooms for use as a regional museum. At the same time, a defensive platform was developed on the outer side of the building, and the crenellation enclosing it was pierced by window openings. After the Second World War, the gate served as a community centre, and after renovation since the 1980s it has been used as a music school. The roof was replaced in 2007.


The gate is located in the eastern part of the town fortifications, in the initial section of Wojska Polskiego Street. It was designed on a quadrilateral plan, built of rough stones at the base, and ceramic bricks laid on top on a lime mortar bed featuring a monk bond. It consists of four storeys, covered with a gable roof. The ground floor features a gateway which terminates in a pointed arch and is closed with a portcullis set in a deep three-storey recess from the outside. The top section of the eastern facade was decorated with blind windows and pinnacles featuring decorative tracery. The western facade is accentuated with long, narrow recesses terminating in segmental arches. The stones extending beyond the face of the wall, which were formerly used to lock the wooden gate, has survived to this day.

The monument is available to visitors. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement.

Compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 25-09-2014 r.


  • Skaziński B., Lubuskie Carcassonne, Strzelce Krajeńskie 2009.

Category: defensive wall

Architecture: gotycki

Building material:  kamienne

Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BL.40148, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_08_BL.12610