Parish Church of All Saints - Zabytek.pl
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. świdnicki, gm. Marcinowice-gmina wiejska
- 1335 - first written record of the church
- 1st half of the 14th c. - construction of the church
- 1603 - modernisation in the Renaissance style
- 17th/18th century - Baroque redesign
- 1885 - reversion to the Gothic style
- 1968 — renovation
The church was erected in the second half of the 14th century in the Gothic style. It was subsequently modernised in 1603, attaining the features of the Renaissance style, followed by a Baroque redesigned in the late 17th/early 18th century. In 1885, the church was regothicised. A major renovation was carried out in 1968.
The church follows a single-nave layout, its walls reinforced with buttresses; it features a two-bay main body with a groin vault and a rectangular chancel to the east, covered with a Late Renaissance groin vault. The western side of the nave is adjoined by a tower designed on a rectangular floor plan, its walls supported by buttresses. It is crowned with a spire topped with a wind vane with the date 1603. A sacristy and a porch adjoin the southern side of the chancel and the southern side of the nave respectively. The gable roofs of the church are covered with sheet metal.
A pair of stone crosses, believed to have originally served as penitential crosses, crown the apex of the chancel and the top section of the western façade of the tower. The chancel features regothicised, pointed-arch windows and a rood arch likewise following a pointed outline.
Painted decorations from the 3rd quarter of the 14th century adorn the walls of the chancel and the underside of the rood arch, their iconography incorporating a specific catechetical content in the form of a variety of Biblical scenes: the original sin, the childhood and Passion of Christ (the Passion cycle itself consisting of 19 images in total), the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Judgement Day, Our Lady of Mercy, St Michael, the prophets, the visages of Christ as well as the wise and foolish virgins. The paintings are divided into three zones separated by bands of geometric ornaments.
The church fittings are designed in the Gothic Revival style.
An old cemetery (no longer in active use) is located south of the church and features many interesting examples of sepulchral art, including a unique ceramic plaque in Russian and German, dedicated to the Russian soldiers who lost their lives during World War I.
The church is usually closed; it may be viewed from the outside without limitations.
compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 22-06-2015.
- Gotyckie malarstwo ścienne w Polsce, A. Karłowska-Kamzowa (ed.), Poznań 1984
- Malarstwo gotyckie w Polsce, A. S. Labuda, K. Secomska (eds.), Warsaw 2004.
- Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.85987, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_02_BK.105796