The fortified chapel of St Anthony - Zabytek.pl
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. świdnicki, gm. Strzegom-miasto
The first among the ring-shaped stone defensive walls was built back in the years 1291-1299, replacing the former earthen and wooden fortifications. The second ring was added somewhere around the mid-15th century. Somewhere around the year 1475, a number of fortified towers were added to the system of fortifications, including the existing chapel of St Anthony.
The ring of fortifications surrounding the town of Strzegom came equipped with a total of 5 gatehouses, including the so-called New Gate, located in the southern section of the wall. It is next to this gate that the existing fortified tower was erected; somewhere around the mid-16th century, the building was adapted to serve as a chapel. The architect responsible for its design is believed to be Łukasz Schleierweber. The chapel was subsequently modernised during the 19th and the 20th century; further works followed in 2005, when the early modern plasterwork underwent a thorough restoration. The nave of the chapel is a stone structure with a barrel vault, its walls supported by buttresses. The chancel, on the other hand, is a brick structure with a semi-decagonal termination - a fact which is not immediately apparent from the outside, since the outer wall follows a semi-circular outline; the vault is of the cross-rib type, with pronounced keystones and supports. The chapel has two turrets of varying height, positioned at the north-western and south-eastern corners; both turrets are designed on an octagonal plan and are topped with slender, eight-sloped roofs. Embrasures can be found both on the attic level and in the ground floor section of the chancel. The chapel also features surviving Late Gothic stone portals; one in the southern façade, topped with an inflexed arch, and another in the western façade, featuring a shouldered flat arch. Inside, the chapel features a Baroque Revival main altarpiece dedicated to St Anthony, dating back to the early 20th century.
The chapel is usually closed and can only be viewed from the outside.
compiled by Krzysztof Czartoryski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-10-2014.
- Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 812.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.89876