Church in Stoczek Klasztorny of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary with a cloister, religious house and a garden, Stoczek
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church in Stoczek Klasztorny of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary with a cloister, religious house and a garden

Stoczek

photo

One of eight Baroque pilgrimage sites which were created in the period of Counter-Reformation in the territory of Warmia in order to emphasise its Catholic character as opposed to neighbouring Evangelical region of Mazury

History

Baroque sanctuary in Stoczek Klasztorny was erected in a place of former, small chapel in two construction phases. In the first construction phase a small church in the form of a rotunda was erected. The cornerstone was embedded by the bishop of Warmia - Mikołaj Szyszkowski in 1639. The administration of the newly built structure was vested in the Bernadines of Barczew. The construction was completed within two years, in 1641. From the East in the years 1659-1677 a four-wing monastery complex was added. Extension of the complex took place in the years 1708-1712. Within its course a small church was given a character of a pilgrimage complex. Presbytery was added to the free-standing rotunda, and the whole structure was surrounded by a quadrangular cloister with chapels in the corners, and the monastery was extended. At the beginning the cloisters opened with arcades to the courtyard and were bricked up in 1741. On the northern and eastern side from the buildings a Baroque garden was established, which with time lost its character. It was restored to its original condition as part of restoration works conducted at the turn of the 20th and 21st century. Rotunda in Stoczek Klasztorny was erected as a memorial structure to commemorate the expulsion of Swedish troops from Prussia. The most valuable fittings in the complex in Stoczek Klasztorny include the church interior and cloisters wall painting and the painting of Snowy Virgin Mary, the copy of the painting from the church of S. Maria Maggiore was brought from Rome in 1643.

Description

Complex in Stoczek Klasztorny consists of a church, religious house, cloisters and Baroque garden. The church is oriented, in the form of rotunda with rectangular presbytery with a tower, it is surrounded by a four-wing cloister with chapels covered with a cupola in the corner. Presbytery joins the northern wing of the cloisters. Architectural decoration in the body of the church is constitute the panels and lesenes, in case of cloister walls - lesenes and a cornices. On the southern side of the rotunda there is bricked-up portal constituting an original entrance to the building. Wings and chapels of the cloisters are decorated with frescos. The monastery building was erected on a rectangular floor plan and it consists three three-storey wings: eastern, northern and southern. From the western side the quadrilateral of the complex is closed by one storey of the religious house added above the cloister. Eastern facade - a garden one with shallow avant-corps on the axis, crowned with triangular pediment. Baroque garden, regular, with quarter division, with an area of 1.6 ha,surrounded with a wall from three sides. From the western side the area of the park is located, closed with a utility building. From the eastern and northern side along the wall, a line of maples and lindens grow. The garden is divided into two parts: western - in use and eastern, recreatonal one. Main element of the composition of the recreation part is an alley overgrown with thuyas and runs from the gate to the East. At both its sides there are flowerbeds

Accessible structure.

Compiled by Joanna Jakutowicz, Area Branch in Olsztyn, 22.10.2014.

 

Bibliography

  • Babicka M., Krużganki w barokowych sanktuariach pielgrzymkowych na Warmii, „Biuletyn Historii Sztuki“, 1966, R.28, nr2, s. 257-260.
  • Bożek-Zwierowicz M., Odnowione parki i ogrody Warmii i Mazur. Galiny, Wajsznory, Stoczek Klasztorny „Ochrona zabytków“, 2003, nr 3, s. 71-84.
  • Kowalska A., Kościł wotywny w Stoczku Klasztornym fundacji biskupa Mikołaja Szyszkowskiego, „Rocznik olsztyński“, 1989, s. 351-364.
  • Triller A., Zur Entstehung und Geschichte der ermländischen Wallfahrtsorten, „Zeitschrift für die Geschichte und Altertumskunde Ermlands”, Osnabrück 1957.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1639-1712
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Stoczek
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district lidzbarski, commune Kiwity
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area