Evangelical church, Sorkwity
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Evangelical church

Sorkwity

photo

The last, rural Evangelical church in Mazury, with simple forms, typical for the region, with an Evangelical interior decor preserved almost entirely.

History

Sorkwity village was located in 1379 by Winrich von Kniprod - Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. The patronage over the church was held by the owners of the knight’s property existing here, one of whom, where the von Schlieben family. The beginning of the construction of the present church, erected in four phases is connected with Dietrich von Schlieben. An eastern part of the nave with sacristy was erected in the first place in the years 1593-1607, the extension to the West conducted on the initative of another property owner - Zygmunt von Egloffstein took place in the years 1698-1699. Tower with Gothic wall accentuation was built in the years 1701-1712. In last phase, in the years 1750-1777 during a thorough reconstruction of the church the nave windows were made uniform. Due to the date of its construction, the church in Sorkwity should be considered Baroque, however, it is an example of style delay with clear reminiscence of Gothic art. Sorkwity parish church is the last rural Evangelical parish church in Mazury.

Description

The church is situated on the western side of the road leading to the village of Gieląd Stary, on the shore of Gielądzkie lake, on the fenced, separated area. There are old-growth trees and traces of the former cemetery, among other things, a partly damage angel sculpture, preserved on the church plot. This is a building made of field stone and brick, plastered (except the tower), with a uniform body on a rectangular floor plan. It is oriented, with a square tower on the western side, sacristy on the northern side and an entrance porch on the southern side. The body has stepped buttresses on the corners and is covered with a gable roof, the tower by a tented roof, the roof covering is made of ceramic tiles. The facades of the church are smooth, partitioned with semi-full arched windows, accentuation of a brick tower with plastered strips of cornices and rows of blind windows is much more extensive. There is a stepped tower portal, closed with a segmental arch, on the southern wall there is a 1711 date laid with the use of burr brick; at the tower top there is a flag with a 1777 date. The hall interior is covered with flattened, false barrel vault supported on Ionic columns and there is a groin vault in the sacristy. Fittings are typical for rural Evangelical temples, mostly made during the church construction: Mannerist main altar of 1623 made by Krzysztof Bilich and Marcin Lange, reconstructed by Izaak Ryga from Królewiec, also the author of ambo and baptist angel (1701). Characteristic element of the patronage churches’ fittings are collator pews, here of 1617 with later coats of arms of the von Groeben family.

Accessible historic building.

Compiled by Marzena Zwierowicz



Bibliography

  • Boetticher A., Bau- und der Kunstdenkmaeler der Provinz Ostpreussen, t.VI, Koenigsberg 1898.
  • Hubatsch W., Geschichte der evangelischen Kirchen in Ostpreussen, t.II, Goettingen 1968.
  • Rzempołuch A., Przewodnik po zabytkach sztuki dawnych Prus Wschodnich, Olsztyn 1992, s.93-94.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1593-1607
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sorkwity
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district mrągowski, commune Sorkwity
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area