Villa complex (villa, outbuilding and park), Sopot
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Villa complex (villa, outbuilding and park)

Sopot

photo

It is an example of a fine villa complex, distinctive for Sopot, which was, at the turn of the 19th and 20th century, a dynamically developing resort. The villa is distinguishable by its unusually picturesque architectural form, representing the Alpine style (also called the Swiss or Tirol style), popular at that time. It may be also associated with castle and Renaissance architecture. The characteristic feature of the building is its tower with a view and a typical - for the resort architecture - high number of wooden verandas, balconies, and galleries, decorated with lavish wood carvings. The outbuilding is also reminiscent of folk Alpine architecture.

History

The villa, designed by architect Karl Hofacker, was built in stages in 1877-1895. It was founded by Friedrich Wilhelm Juencke, a representative of a family dealing in brand wines, the owners of the famous Ratskeller (or Rats-Wienkeller) restaurant located in the basement of the Court of Artus in Gdańsk. By the villa, a park with a pond, an orangery and a wine bar, was developed. In 1889, an outbuilding was erected. It was partly converted already in 1903. In 1898, the whole estate was owned by widow Agnes nee Claaszen. In 1928, Hans Acker was its owner. In 1922-1936 Harald Koch, Consul General of Denmark and President of the Diplomatic Corps resided there. Back then, the building was the centre of social life. Musicians and singers from the Forest Opera were its frequent guests. About 1942, the property was taken over by NSDAP. After the war, the villa and the outbuilding were adapted into municipal housing. In 1980s, the orangery and the wine bar became dilapidated. Currently, the villa is very neglected, and the park is largely devastated.

Description

The villa complex is located in the northern part of Sopot. From the south, it is enclosed with Goyki street, from the east with Winieckiego street, from the west with railway tracks, and from the north it neighbours another villa and park complex. From the south and the north, the immediate surroundings of the complex includes a well-spaced villa housing development and accompanying parks and gardens, and from the east, sports centre facilities. The complex includes a villa, an outbuilding and a park. The villa is located in the central-southern part of the park. The outbuilding is located in the south, by the entrance to the property from Goyki street. In front of the villa, from the west, there is a porte-cochère. The area of the complex is varied. In the south, it descents steeply in the direction of Goyki street situated in a ravine, and in the east in the direction of Winieckiego street.

The villa represents the Alpine style, with elements reminiscent of castle and Renaissance architecture. It is made of brick and faced with yellow brick. The highest storey of the tower was built using the half-timbered construction technique. The building is distinguishable by its irregular floor plan and very partitioned body. The body has two storeys and a residential attic. In the north-western corner, there is a four-storey tower, topped with a wooden gallery, reminiscent of machicolations. In the western (front) and eastern façade there are two-storey avant-corps. The eastern avant-corps adjoins a triangular single-storey annex. At the eastern, southern, and western façades there are wooden verandas and loggias, as well as balconies in the attic. The corps de logis and the avant-corps are covered with separate gable roofs with pediments, long sprockets, and projecting eaves supported by corbels. In the gables there is a distinctive, massive decoration - the roof planes are projecting very much forward and feature a woodcarving decoration, made of openwork and fretwork woodboards, which frame the windows and balconies of the attic in the form of an arch. The main entrance to the building is located in the side wall of the western avant-corps. The doors are decorative and panelled, with decorative door fitting. The stairs feature a metal and decorative balustrade. Window openings are rectangular and framed with profiled neo-Renaissance stone window casings. In the façades, there are also stone cornices between the storeys, and corner rustication.

The outbuilding represents the folk Alpine style. Originally, the ground floor was used as a stable and carriage house (currently, it serves as residential premises). The first floor served as the gardener’s flat. The ground floor of the outbuilding is made of brick and the first storey is made of wood. The building was erected on a rectangular floor plan, with an annex at the northern façade. It is a two-storey building with a gallery on the first floor that runs along the eastern, southern, and northern façades. The outbuilding is covered with a gable roof, with a roof ridge parallel to the shorter walls, and projecting eaves. The eaves are supported by lavishly profiled corbels. In the gable of the eastern façade, between the corbels, there is a platform, probably a part of a dovecote located in the attic. Apart from the corbels, the woodcarving decoration covers also the balustrade of the gallery and the intricately cut friezes. The windows on the first floor have shutters.

The park of an area of approx. 2 ha is distinguished by its free composition, which includes e.g. a semi-circular lime walk and a hill with a view.

Limited access to the historic building. The building can only be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 12-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • Domańska H., Opowieści sopockich kamienic, Gdańsk 2005, s. 109-112;
  • Karty ewidencyjne zabytku architektury: Zespół willowo-parkowy, opr. K. Stawiarska-Kostarczyk, 1983, Archiwum NID; Willa, opr. D. Styp-Rekowska, 1996, Archiwum NID; Oficyna, ob. budynek mieszkalny, opr. J. Barton-Piórkowska, 1996, Archiwum NID;

General information

  • Type: villa
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Goyki 1-3, Sopot
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district Sopot, commune Sopot
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area