Tenement house, Sopot
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An example of a tenement house from the early 20th century, with an architectural form characteristic of the resort town of Sopot. It represents the eclectic style, with some traits of the so-called resort and Art Nouveau style - a picturesque, highly variegated body, contrasts between the brick and half-timbered structure of walls, eclectic architectural detail and rich decorative wood carvings.

History

The tenement house was built in 1905 based on a design by Carl Kupperschmit. It was owned by an architect and painter, Hans Uhlenbroich.

Description

The tenement house is located in the area of Dolny Sopot. It is situated in the eastern frontage of Parkowa street, on a corner plot, between Traugutta and Drzymały streets. It is side-gabled and has a front yard. From the east, there is a small courtyard half of which is built-up with garages. The building is surrounded mainly by free-standing tenement houses.

The tenement house in consideration was built in the eclectic style, with some traits of the so-called resort style, and has eclectic-Art Nouveau interior. It is made of brick, and the attic is a half-timbered structure. The structure was erected on an elongated rectangular floor plan, with two staircases. Its lavish and very fragmented body has two storeys and a tall residential attic. The attic space is slightly overhanging and separated from the façade by a different structure (half-timbered), partitioned with a row of varied dormers, and covered with separate gable roofs with pediments. The western (front) façade and the southern (side façade, from Traugutta street) façade of the building are asymmetrical and highly diversified. In the south-western corner of the building, there is a two-storey bay window in the form of a turret, raising over the roof of the building and topped with a multi-hipped roof with a steeple. The western (front) façade houses the northern staircase, slightly reminiscent of an avant-corps and topped with a bulbous cupola. The entrance to the building has the form of eclectic portals, reminiscent of the Renaissance (the northern entrance) and Romanesque (the southern entrance) style. In the northern portal, there are sculptures of owls. Apart from that, there are also brick and wooden loggias and balconies in the façade. The eastern (yard) façade is more modest, generally plain, with a bay window of the northern staircase, topped with a cupola. All façades feature window openings of various sizes and shapes, frequently in neo-Renaissance forms. The architectural detail includes corner rustication, window casings and corbels supporting balconies. The woodcarving decorations has the form of a decorative pattern of posts and beams, and profiled faces of ceiling beams. In the attic in the western façade there is a wooden loggia, with an openwork cut balustrade and sculptured arcades supported by round pillars.

No visitor access to the monument. Private property.

compiled by Beata Dygulska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 19-01-2015.

Bibliography

  • Budowniczy Carl Kupperschmitt (1847-1915), katalog wystawy, praca zbiorowa pod red. M. Buchholz-Todoroskiej, Sopot 2004, s. 50;
  • Sperski M., Budowniczowie Sopotu. Carl Kupperschmitt, Kuryer Sopocki, nr 5 (8), 2000

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: początek XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Parkowa 43-45, Sopot
  • Location: Voivodeship pomorskie, district Sopot, commune Sopot
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area